So I have someone who has approached me about buying my 1989 580K 4x4 Extendahoe. I have had it for 15ish years and it has served me well. But my dad and I have been throwing around the idea of selling it and buying something newer for a few years. If I sell it, I will want to purchase another Backhoe. My local Case dealer has always served me well parts wise. So I am leaning towards another Case. When looking at 580L, 580SL or maybe 580M depending on prices. What should I be looking at, or looking out for? I know on the 580k's the wiring can be a bit of a thing, ours has not had much issue with that, what things like that should I look out for on the L and M series?
Myself, I would rather keep the K than deal with newer equipment if it’s in good shape.
Just my $0.02, The backhoes you are looking at are arguably also considered old. Assuming your 580K is in good shape, you could pretty easily "trade-up" into a backkhoe that ends up costing you a lot more. You know your circumstances better than anyone on here does. I have a 590SL and it is a great backhoe, however, if I was spending 8-10 hrs/day on it, I would want to trade up into something a little more comfortable, smoother, etc. It works very well for me for what I need it for around the ranch.
You have something that you know works and you're going to sell it and buy someone else's unknown problems? Unless your current hoe won't do what you want I'd say you're nuts. Joe H
Keep it and buy an excavator.
I would not buy anything very old that has DEF on the engine. Keep in mind that their are 3 different versions of the 580M's.
I sold a 1988 580K. I also sold a John Deere 410C. I bought a Case 580 Super N. It has 4X4, extend a hoe, Cab, AC, Heat. ride control, pilot controls, hammer circuit. Mine is last year before you needed DEF. Machine is a delight except for the!@#$%^&*( alarms! It alarms for seat not latched, fuel level, oil pressure, parking brake on. It alarms for 10000 other reasons & only obscure symbols to say what's wrong. It operates smooth as silk & is very quiet except for the alarms. I wear ear plugs because the volume of the many alarms is unnerving.
I am going to start with Thank You ALL for the info. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions and provide input and sharing your experience. So my 580k Was at the stage where it was still worth money but was starting to show alot of signs of age. The floor and rear fenders where getting swiss cheese like. I talked w my Dad, and two friends who use the machine regularly and work construction and we all agree it is time to let her go and get something a little newer. She sold yesterday, for basically what we paid for her 15 years ago... technically more actually. Now the hunt begins, I know I do not want a machine that requires DEF. What year did that start? Early 2000s? The local case dealer has 3 off lease Super Ns on the lot for ~95k each. I have not sat in them nor seen them in person. But $95k is way out of my price range unfortunately. But I have time on my side. I don't need the machine for work, or a farm. It is just a convenance item for around our houses, and I use it to clear snow in the winter. I am hoping to have a new (to me) machine in the next 9ish months. I am in NH and am basically looking anywhere in the Northeast. Dad has said no Deere's due to their current actions on right to repair. So it looks like I am looking at Case and CAT as they are the two dealers within an hour from my house.
Mine is 2014 I paid 54000 in 2021. It does not require DEF. Sweetest machine I've ever run.
I found my 1991 John Deere 410 C to be quite primitive. Operator enters through the windshield, door post is always blocking your vision. Numerous other shortcomings surprised me. While my earlier 410 (1974) was super smooth compared to other manufacturers of the era, by 1991 they were no better than other manufacturers. I was hugely disappointed that JD didn't support with essential parts a machine that old.
Ok, a 2014 is probably much newer than I expect we will end up in. But that means there’s nearly zero chance we have an issue w DEF. The Super N’s at my local dealer are 20’s or 21’s and have less than 3000 hrs on them I think. We will hopefully be in the 25-40k range for what we are looking at. From what I am seeing it looks like we can probably make that happen.