Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k do you use synthetic oil

case310350 · 2026-04-08 14:17

Need to change the oil in 580k typically use 15-40 non synthetic oil. but looking like synthetic oils they have additives that reduce engine wear. any recommendations?

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2026-04-08 17:07

    I’ve heard of guys running synthetic HDEO in their old backhoes. It’s what the cool kids do. I’m not a fan of Brotella because it shears and the Viscosity Index falls out of spec before the rest of the addy package fails. I’m a Delo fanboi, but that’s because my local Chevron sales rep smells nice and rocks those D-cups. Knowwhatimsayin? If that ever changes, I may switch to P66.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-04-09 10:04

    Run Dino oil. Machine was built in Dino times, has been running Dino its whole life. What are the upsides?

  3. #3Coaldust2026-04-09 13:03

    In 2026, HDEO CK-4 and FA-4 categories, and now on the verge of API PC-12 for 2027, it would be very difficult to find a Dino diesel engine oil in retail packaging at your favorite store. Shell T2 is the only group II product I can think of. It’s only available in bulk and good luck finding it unless you order a tote. What I’m saying is every premium modern diesel engine oil is synthetic blend.

  4. #4Coaldust2026-04-09 13:10

    PAO/Class IV-based pure synthetic heavy duty engine oils are a rarity and are not generally recommended. I can’t even think of an API CK-4/FA-4 group IV oil off the top of my head.