Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480c low power on rear boom

480ccase ยท 2026-04-09 21:58

The front bucket has alot of power.But the rear stabilizer legs won't lift up the backhoe unless you use the boom to help.and everything in the rear is weak,the boom also will not stay down when lifting the backhoe it just immediately lowers down. I was reading a few years ago that it could be the power beyond? does anyone have a schematic or pictures on how to replace it and or a link to the seals to fix this?

Replies4
  1. #1stinky642026-04-10 09:57

    Don't know about 480C but here's a 580C loader control valve, part # 10/10a is the power beyond fitting, it's where the juice for rear functions comes from. Take that fitting out and check o-rings especially #12 for damage. Make sure you relieve pressure before loosening any hyd. fitting. Hope this helps.

  2. #2MG842026-04-10 13:36

    Another problem that happens is the seals/o-rings between the backhoe valve sections go bad and allows oil to bypass from one section to another. I'm having this issue on my 480E right now, only cure is to pull the whole valve body and reseal it. If you do reseal it I believe you have to readjust the relief settings on all the circuits.

  3. #3480ccase2026-04-10 14:58

    Would all of them have to be bad to have the same power on all of the rear? I do have two bad seals on top where the controls are. I was thinking it was the power beyond since when I'm using any control on the rear with any type of force, I can hear it going back into the hydraulic tank.

  4. #4480ccase2026-04-10 15:08

    It sure did help.I found this picture since I forgot to take some.I'm guessing this is the power beyond fitting on a 480c? I took both sides apart and on that side in the photo there was some nylon plastic bushing all the way in there with a circle like there is supposed to be an o-ring on there?