I noticed my 580K (before Ser No JJG0020000) front wheels are not pulling. When I raise the front and rear off the ground and put the unit in FWD or REV, the driver's front turns until I lower it to the ground, then it stops. Right front doesn't turn even in free air. Of Course, the rear is turning. the front drive shaft keeps turning when front wheels stop. I'm hoping some of you folks can start me down the path of most likely problem(s). Thanks!
I am going to say you have a broken or striped splines in your right front axle shaft or the right front final drive gears are damaged. Turn the front wheels to the right and you can see the ujoints on the right side and see if the shaft is spinning at that point and find out if it is in the final or the center housing.
Thanks Goose. I didn't realize I could turn the wheel and find motion there if the center is working. Why do you (or anyone else)suppose the left side turns in free air, but stops once a load is put on it by lowering the front end to the ground?
Scottyboy, Here is a really nice video that shows the how differentials work. In the video you will see why one axle will quit turning when one of the them has broken or, if the outer drive assembly in your front axle is damaged. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGvhvOhLHU You will find that the info. Goose gave you is going to be exactly where your problem is.
Thank you Tinkerer. It's nice to know that the problem may be limited to one side. I'll check it out in a few days when I return to the farm. Likely to return here with more questions afterward!
I made it back to the farm today. Fired up the hoe and took a look at what was and wasn't moving. With all four wheels off the ground and the machine in 1st gear fwd, the right front (passenger's side) wheel was not moving, but the universal going into the wheel was spinning. OK, what's the most likely problem(s)?
If the right ujoint is turning then the problem is in the final drive. pull the tire and final cover and see what is broken or missing. Previous owner could have had a final drive problem in the past and someone took the planetary gears out so they could sell the machine.
Thanks, Goose. Next time I'm on the farm, I'll pull it apart for a look-see.
Obviously, it took me longer than I though, but I finally pulled that right front hub apart. Nothing was broken in there, just all the planetary stuff was totally missing! Goose's guess was spot on!. So, I've been doing a bit of looking for parts. I'm not finding much in the "farm hoe" price range... I have several inquiries out to some of the bigger salvage yards. The one reply I got back was $1725 for the planetary assy (used). Again, this is the 580K early (before serial number.....). Anyone have any thoughts on finding these parts for a bit less?
I haven't had to buy parts for one of those planetary drives Scottyboy, but you might try Joseph Industries, they sell parts for those axles. > http://www.joseph.com/
Try Wengers of Myerstown, Pa. They have a lot of Case stuff. http://www.wengers.com/