replacing piston on jd 410 outrigger, can't get the bolt out of the damaged one.I tried 1 inch impact gun with 200 lbs of air didn't budge. what the heck is holding it? tried 3/4 4 foot breaker bar and 6 foot pipe piston on outrigger pedestal and still didn't budge.I didn't want to put the smoke wrench to it cause I need the seals and rubber from the old one to put on new piston. whats the secret?
longer pipe,,, and use rachet.. breaker bar will break,,,locktie was used and use some when putting back together
Hit the head of the bolt with a sledge hammer about six times. Or take it to a hydraulic repair shop. They have a set-up that will remove it. Some piston bolts are tightened up to 1200 Ft. Lbs.
thanks to all that replied,gonna go with the sledge hammer since that might shock it makes since but I would have thought the 1 inch impact gun would have done that . I'll let you know if it worked or else I'll bite the bullet and enlist the help of hydro shop . Hate to have to swallow my pride though.
A little heat on the nut, 10-12 ft breaker bar, the longer and stronger, the better. Keep us posted.
All good advice.Many times that's the toughest part of rebuilding a cylinder ...Just getting the gland & piston nut broke loose. Another thread where we were talking about this HeavyEquipmentForums
This. The locktite needs to be heated up to 250-300 degrees and it will turn to mush and let go pretty easily. I can't see replacing the piston and reusing the old seals, why would you do that? If you must save the seals, heating the bolt to 200 won't hurt the seals and will still help the locktite give up.
I have the rear seal but the two rubber pads that sandwich the seal must be removed first. there is two metal discs that are on each side of the rubber pads. if you've ever been inside of one of these you know what I mean. heat will destroy the rubber. I want to keep the repair to a reasonable cost and need the machine for water breaks which don't give any warning when they occur.I am almost done with my volvo backhoe. once thats running I'll take the jd apart again and try the sledge hammer suggestion.
I used tinkerer and del mars methods and voila the bolt came loose. thanks for the help guys. now its as good as new!
Thanks for posting back your success. Happy New Year