Well its cold again! Anyone out there installed an engine heater in the hose that returns coolant from the heater to the water pump. Would be a lot simpler than doing the frost plug install and give more heat. 1500 watts vs 750.. Cheaper too. Pushin' snow again.
Do the freeze plug heater. it is easy. Tap the side of freeze plug and it will turn and pull it out. very effective. Will warm engine enough to warm up hands on the head in 1 hr.
Consider yourself lucky to get a 750W block heater, most are 400. 750 is plenty, if you have the access you'll never regret putting the block heater in. The heater hose heater will work as long as it's lower than the engine and slopes steadily up. They're called circulating heaters, there's no pump, just gravity thermosiphon, which is fine if you can mount the heater much lower than the engine. The heater and hoses are exposed, making the heating speed pretty close to the block heater of lower wattage.
I just installed a block heater on my tractor and found this the easiest I've ever removed a frost plug.
390 Cummins uses a Zero Start 3500030, 750 watts, 58MM. $60 to $70.00 on Amazon or #bay.
Block heater it is. Does it matter which frost plug you put it in? It has two on that side one near the starter the other forward. Compression must be half decent at 4100 hrs, it starts at around or slightly below freezing, cranks a bit. I was worried it would not push snow with 2wd but with about 8" of heavy wet stuff it did a great job, it has the 19 24 rear tires.
With a block heater in that motor after 2 or 3 hrs. it will fire up in a couple of cranks.
Rrrrrr, I posted this in the wrong thread . --------> I don't know maybe this will help. --------> HeavyEquipmentForums