I have a 4x4 580k that is leaking oil onto the front tire from the front axle. I cant pinpoint the leak but it seems to be coming from the hub. I am not sure if i can rip it apart and fix it this week as i have a job for it this coming week. I cant seem to find what kind of oil the front axle takes and wehre the fill hole is. Aside from those two things, how big of a job am i in for here? just a seal i will assume? THanks for any help in advance -CSaley
Not a difficult job - but a couple of things to look for. The filler/ drain plug is on the outside cover of the hub - remove some mud to see ?? 17mm socket required. They are factory filled with Hy-Trans Ultra - a good idea to run something heavy in them like a 90 grade. Not sure about your cold winters??? :beatsme - here we run 85/140 in them. After removing the wheel, you should see 2 x allen headed countersunk capscrews - a sharp blow with a drift often required to get them moving. Now look closely at the wheel studs - 2 of them (180deg apart) have flanges on them - lock a couple of wheel nuts together on them to remove. Remove the cover containing planetary gears, sun gear & washer, - you now see a ring of bolts 22mm heads, remove them all & then use 2 of them to intall into pusher holes - tighten a little at a time & the hub will come off. There are dowels on the carrier gear - one is different than all the others - note it's position for installation. I have only used genuine seals on those - they are heavy duty. - Joseph Industries carry Carraro parts - maybe cheaper than CNH.
i will look for the fill bolt. I cant picture this in my head right now. Thanks!