Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k front end help

jlcross ยท 2010-03-08 14:54

I have a 580 K 2wd with problems. The previous owner did not replace the King pins so the hole got extremely wore. Can this be fixed by a machine shop? I also noticed that I can buy a weld on axle end to re-do the axle. The Axle says Ductile metal do not weld.

Replies4
  1. #1oldseabee2010-03-08 15:10

    If there is enough metal left you could bore and sleeve the axle oversize with steel and press in bushings to bring it to size, otherwise you will have to sleeve it to size, then you will be steel to steel which is OK as long as the kingpin is softer so it wears instead of the sleeve. Keep it well greased The ductile metal can be welded, but it really takes a shop that knows how to do it propery and get the hole lined up properly. Improper line up will affect steering and tire wear.

  2. #2Ando2010-03-08 18:51

    worn kingpins G'day jlcross, have a look in my "Case 580k basket case" thread, page 5, for a front axle repair proceedure.

  3. #3jlcross2010-03-08 20:52

    Okay thanks, mins is a little more worn than that, I have a call into a machine shop to see if they can weld on it.

  4. #4Ando2010-03-09 19:12

    Wow, it must be bad! Any pics? I also saw ad's for the weld-on replacement part. By the looks of it, Case supplied two axles on the 580k; a fabricated axle and a cast iron axle. If you had the fabricated axle, it would be a very easy fix.