Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Casw 590 SL Hydraulic Valve Body Leak Help

DKF ยท 2010-03-08 21:09

Hello All: I own a 2000 Case 590SL Series 2 backhoe. I am showing some hydraulic fluid leaking from the valve body that sits on the inside underneath next to the hydraulic oil tank. (the plethora of lines and fittings that are underneath and in front of the rt. rear tire). Hope that made sense. It appears that this valve body is possibly accessible if I remove the hydraulic tank. Is this correct? I can't exactly see where I am leaking from, but I am hoping it is just a loose fitting. Should I chase this, or is this something I should just live with. Thanks for any and all help/suggestions etc. Don

Replies18
  1. #1alrman2010-03-08 21:58

    Don, Removing the hyd tank will make no difference to the access to the valve. You need to visually check the valve while someone is pressurising the individual circuits of the loader - you may need to give it a degrease & wash to help. It may be a loose fitting or a leaking spool - I'll bet it leaks if you pressurize loader down & oil will be leaking from between the sections - only an educated guess - Let us know what you find.

  2. #2gggraham2010-03-08 22:05

    I'm with Alrman: Clean it off really good with a power washer. The only fitting I've ever seen leak on those is the "T" fitting for the loader lift circuit. But seen many leak between sections as Alrman stated.

  3. #3DKF2010-03-08 22:53

    Thank you both for your replies. I can get it pretty clean and then look. A few questions....is that valve body responsible for only the front loader? Is it at all involved with the backhoe? What does "between the sections" mean, and if it is leaking there can it be fixed? I bet you guys are correct because the only time I have seen oil there is after I have been digging and have been using the front loader pressurized down to lift the front tires off. Thanks again for any more advice/suggestions/help. Don

  4. #4wldhoss2010-03-08 23:22

    Clean the area in suspect, let dry, and then use some spray foot powder to detect the leak. Works real good.

  5. #5alrman2010-03-09 00:46

    Don, The valve is made up with sections or segments - one for each application ie lift (#3); tilt(#2); 4in1(#4). This valve only controls loader - but the inlet/outlet section (#5) has the main relief valve (#6) which does control the backhoe pressure as well - so there is pressure at parts of Loader control valve while using the hoe. There are orings between these segments to control the oil. If there is a leak between the segments - it usually means there is a crack in one of the oil galleries of one section ( usually the lift ), the leak will usually get worse - so repair will be likely. This requires removal of the entire valve & crack testing (ink & developer is good) & replacement of the faulty section. Find your leak Don & decide if you can fix or need more professional help.

  6. #6sandy2010-03-09 02:32

    valve body leaks heres a pic of a segment out of a cat 428 valve body with a crack in this is the sought of thing to look for thankfully works 3 580sl haven't leaked yet but the cat makes up for it

  7. #7DKF2010-04-02 10:38

    Update: It was leaking between the sections as was prescribed by alrman. It was far far beyond me to fix it so got in touch with a retired heavy equipment mechanic who has a mobile business. A new rebuild-O/Ring kit was purchased from Case, the valve body removed (no easy task at all--18 different lines to disconnect and very heavy), and is now in the process of being re- O/Ringed. Will be put all back together tomorrow. Thanks again for all info and advice. Don

  8. #8alrman2010-04-02 18:23

    Don, if the valve was leaking between the segments - get your mechanic to crack detect the sections - one (lift?) will be cracked & you will be pulling the valve out again These are all loader lift sections I have replaced........

  9. #9melben2010-04-03 15:46

    I have one leaking presently on a customer unit, will have to check for chacks, thanks, Mel

  10. #10DKF2010-04-03 21:25

    alrman....You are so right......it has a crack. We will be purchasing a new section and then we will be on our way. How much am I looking to spend for one of those valve sections? Thanks for your expert advice!

  11. #11Goose2010-04-03 21:34

    The new valve section through Case runs about $1000.00.

  12. #12DKF2010-04-04 21:44

    Thanks........I knew it was going to be expensive, but not quite that expensive. Does anyone know if buying through Case is my only option? I believe it is Case part # 113793A4 HYD VALVE SECTION . Thanks again for any and all advise.

  13. #13alrman2010-04-04 23:51

    DKF - glad you found that little crack before you may have fitted the valve with only seals. As far as I know, that is a Case only part - hence the price..........over here they are $2000.00 !!!!! Curious about the part # you quoted - 113793A4, is the spool on your section a female clevis? Like the first 2 sections in above photo - or male clevis like the 2 on the right? 113793A4 will get you a section with male clevis - as per 2 on right.

  14. #14DKF2010-04-05 09:09

    alrman: that is the part # I found for the lift section #3 in the part picture. Our section looks just like the one there. I am hopeful that when we give Case the model# and serial # of my backhoe, we will get the correct piece.

  15. #15alrman2010-04-14 00:02

    For those of you who might be interested, I just replaced another one of these today & took a pic of the crack, so you know what to look for -

  16. #16Tinkerer2010-04-14 07:45

    $1000.00 !!! Yipes !! If it were mine I would consider stripping it down to the bare casting , heat the entire valve body to a dull red in a forge and brazing the crack. Then wrap it in anything (fiberglass insulation comes to mind) to let it cool extremely slowly. A good braze job should require only a slight amount of work to restore the machined bore to serviceable condition. It may not work but I would sure give it a try.

  17. #17DKF2010-04-15 09:09

    Thanks again everyone for your input and valuable guuidance.....especially "alrman"....the repair is done and the leak has been fixed. It was a crack in the lift valve section. My Case dealership charge a whopping $1500 for the section.....in my opinion, way out of line, but they claimed there was no room in it at all for discount....anyway, thanks again all. Don

  18. #18diango242012-05-05 13:20

    problems in the valve body 432 cat Good day to all friends I need help I have a problem with the valve body from the front of the cat team 432d, the front of the backhoe equipment is not kept high when it is resting on the bucket as it is low when the rear of the backhoe equipment is working in any excavation and while this material loading the team up front and keeps the machine is so perfect culling seals lift jacks. I was recommended to lower the valve body and change the repair kit to repair the valve body, but maybe someone can help me find a solution more successful, thanks to all