since I got my machine like many other my electrical has been garbage!! Only thing that works is the voltage meter.. So I have this week off and I wanted to dig in and fix some of my wiring germlins.. OH BOY... I can't even describe how bad it looks.. All the wires have been hacked up spliced together, ends are just twisted together with electrical tape.. Cheap cheap plugs used for ends, just left bare.. Complete different colour wiring used then what was spliced into,. Anyway,, I ended up finding out my sending unit had "a" wire hanging off it that was not attached to anything. I tested the sending unit for Continuity to the frame and got nothing. took the wire off and notta, I ended up springing a leak in the tank and had to drain it all. So now I have the unit out, I think it works but I have no real test, other then the resistant goes up when I move the float. My real question is can I remove the brass bolt that goes through the plate to the outside.. Thats where it's leaking... Tomorrow I call the dealership and get a price on a new unit.. but this one still works just leaks Hehehe Thanks
I ended up repairing mine. Dealer wanted $187 plus tax. since all that was wrong with mine was a the leak I figured I'd save the money.. I got it all back together ran a new wire to my gauge. turned the key to check..My gauge went from Full to empty, I filled th etank checked for leaks and tried it again.. Gauge stayed on empty.. A Crap.. only thing I can think of is that I jammed the float when I installed the sending unit? anyone else have any ideas? I checked the wiring right upto I wired the gauge and everything was good.. I had resistance change moving the float before I installed it. I think I might just install a clear fuel line off the bottom of the tank as a sight gauge.
Pull the sender out of the tank, leave the wires connected, move the float and see if the gauge responds. Rememeber to have the key on. You will have to have the body of the sender touching the tank or frame to earth it, or connect an earth wire to give it a full circuit.
I just drained the tank and pulled it. i'm I really don't feel like doing it again. I guess I should have tested it before I installed it. I bench tested it and it seemed. I'm hoping maybe it's jammed and a drive will move the fuel around and free it up.
I was looking at the wiring tonight trying to trace the lamp wires. I found a wire that looked like it was supposed to be spliced into power going to the key (with one of those cheap plastic crimpy I'm to lazy to do it properly things) anyway I put it back and turned the key and my fuel gauge jumped to 3/4 full.. I'll try it more tomorrow. the wiring on this thing is killing me.
That is one thing that I really want to fix with mine is the fuel gage. It can't be too hard, but I just need to tear into it. Good luck with yours!
I have a couple picture of it installed. (didn't think to take any picture while I was working on it) I used the tractor today and all seemed good. The gauge looked like it worked, but time will tell.