Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K how much oil will I dump

t4250j ยท 2009-02-09 05:21

This is a 590 turbo, essentially a 580K. How much oil will I dump when I take the hydraulic filter off to change it? I don't need to know exactly, but how big a clean container do I need, 3 gallon or 25 gallon?

Replies4
  1. #1rjharms2009-02-09 09:29

    If you have your new filter ready, you should only loose about a quart or so. It will run about the speed of a slow garden hose so I always just use a gallon pail and no problems.

  2. #2rjharms2009-02-09 09:31

    I also try to do this when the oil is cold as it trickles much slower than when the oil is hot.

  3. #3gggraham2009-02-13 18:16

    First, remove the hydraulic tank cap. This releases any pressure from the tank. Always do this first, after pressure is released put cap back into place. The filter on all case backhoes has a check valve...if working you should get no more than a couple litres.

  4. #4t4250j2009-02-14 08:53

    Thanks, I know pulling the drain plug is sort of oily if you don't open the cap first, it's long enough since that happened that it might have been one of those "Oh ____!, I remember that now" moments.