Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Put on a valve for a grapple or 4 in 1

t4250j ยท 2009-02-09 05:53

This is a 590 turbo, I put a diverter valve on the bucket circuit. I told the hydraulic shop what I needed, they found me a valve that works great, except that it is a little small. This is a Vickers solenoid diverter valve, power to the solenoid opens the valve, switch the power from one side to the other, first side closes, second side opens. It is connected to a double pole toggle switch, that is connected as an on, momentarily on, switch. The switch is clamped onto the front of the loader control lever with a L shaped bracket that I made from a small peice of steel bar, just wide enough to drill a hole for the switch. The switch normally energizes the side for the bucket roll circuit. When the spring loaded toggle switch is squeezed toward the loader control lever the power is switched to the 4 in 1 circuit. That is momentary on. Simple inexpensive, but they sold me a diverter valve that is on the small side. I think they will work with me to fix that, but how many GPM do I need to more or less equal the bucket circuit without any valve in it? Will 24 GPM work? I think I have around 16 gpm now.

Replies11
  1. #1willie592009-02-09 21:56

    What is the machine doing that makes you think the valve's too small? Do you have the Vickers valve model number handy, I'd like to look at it at the Vickers website and see what it is.

  2. #2t4250j2009-02-09 23:33

    It works great at low idle, just makes noise at higher rpms. I may have some difficulty getting the number, but I do have a couple of photos of the valve installed, later I will resize them and figure out how to post them.

  3. #3t4250j2009-02-10 08:27

    valve photo Here is the valve, this is a simple installation, valve, switch, wire, two fabricated brackets, elbows and hoses. The part of the number I can read in the photo is ...4A001, the line below it ends with ....23-1, later this week I might be able to get the whole number.

  4. #4SterlingR2009-02-10 09:52

    I would think your problem is to much flow. Is the speed OK at high RPM or is to fast. It sounds like you are forcing return oil through the valve and that is where your noise is coming from. Does it make the noise in both directions?

  5. #5t4250j2009-02-10 23:51

    The flow exceeds the capacity of the diverter valve, I want to use a larger valve to reduce the restriction to a level nearer that of the original tubing/hose that it is replacing.

  6. #6t4250j2009-02-15 23:25

    Vickers valve number The number on the white sticker top row: 9014A001 Second row: 107123-1. Any recommendations for replacement with more capacity? How does the Vickers compare to a Fasse SW7005012-4080?

  7. #7willie592009-02-16 21:00

    I'm not finding anything on those numbers, Vickers #s usually have several letters and numbers in them, so I still haven't seen the specs for the valve assy your using. From what little I can see in the pics, it looks like your valve manifold body has 2 cartridge valves in it. Ordinary cartridge type valve range from a few gpm up to 16 - 18 gpm. Larger gpm's are available, but its usually a more special application type, not the "off the shelf" valve set up. I sure would like to see the specs on the unit, how it's ported, all that good stuff. I'd say you probably do have a gpm restriction, but I don't know what to tell you to remedy it or what alternatives you have yet. I'll keep looking, but if you can give more valve info would be helpful.

  8. #8SterlingR2009-02-17 08:54

    What are the cycle times of the cylinders? Are they operating at the correct speed? What I am afraid is if you increase flow you will end up with cylinders slamming at stroke end. Is it noisy in both directions?

  9. #9t4250j2009-02-18 09:15

    The diverter valve I put on is a 12 gpm valve. The part number they are using for that valve is the one I posted. I think it would be fine on an older ag loader, or a compact tractor, or on most ag implements. On this machine, the dump cylinders are slower than they were before, there was no flow restriction with the old tubes and hoses. The new hoses are the same size, the only difference is the valve and elbow fittings in the circuit. The bucket, hoses and tubes on the loader frame are Case 590 parts.

  10. #10willie592009-02-18 20:37

    I could be totally wrong, but I don't see how a 12 gpm valve could cause some much restriction on your bucket circuit that it would be that noticable as you describe it. I would love to know how that valve is working inside and see some different pictures of it. And if your supplier could supply a larger valve, why haven't you gone that route?

  11. #11SterlingR2009-02-18 23:07

    That is why I asked if it is noisy in both directions. I am thinking that maybe there is an orfice in the valve to help maintaine flow because of the difference between base end and rod end and they have the lines backwards.