Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k hydrolic problem or normal operation

bob_00 ยท 2014-12-07 12:12

hi here is my probblem i used my backhoe at about 1200 rpm so it don t **** off the neighbor in my yard but i can t boom up and stick in at the same time one alwase seem to take over the other the only way i can get it to do so is if i am relly relly gentle on the controle then it i can do it and an other question is wath kind of hydrolic fluid do you use in those aw 32 or atf ? thanks

Replies9
  1. #1utahjd12014-12-07 12:35

    That's how every backhoe I have ever used was. It's strange but I guess it is what it is.

  2. #2bob_002014-12-07 17:49

    thanks utahjd1 i am new to backhoe i am used to excavator and never expriance something like this

  3. #3melben2014-12-07 21:37

    Bob, The Ks are an open center system with a dual section gear pump. one section supplies the loader valve for loader functions and also contains an internal flo divider spool to supply steering flow. The other section is dedicated to backhoe flow and the two flo systems are joined in the backhoe valve. The hoe is designed to operate near the top of its rpm range so more GPM are available so that may have enhanced the effect you noticed. The system is operating as designed and operators usually learn how to compensate by modulation between the two functions being used. But you coming off an excavator would notice it. Most excavators use multiple section pumps and feed the control sections differently to minimize the effect you mentioned. I am sure there are others who can add to this as excavators were a very small part of my experiences and there are people here whose life has been excavators. Please use a good high quality oil in your hydraulic system. I have seen cylinders with packing so swelled that the cylinders had to be pulled apart on our rollback with the winch. We traced that back to a certain brand of off brand oil and I had no choice to recommend my customers to use a better quality oil. I was threatened with a lawsuit by that companies representative but it turned into a hollow threat. Being with a Case dealer we of course pushed our product and I still feel that Hy Tran Ultra is a superior product but I will also say that JDs Hygard is a high quality oil also and would not hesitate to use it. These oils are just a bit heavier in viscosity than the ATF. Cases oil back before HY Tran Ultra was TCH but Case has since changed its recommendation in most systems excepting the Case crawlers prior to the Hydrostats. I am sure there are other good products as well but these two I have enough experience to form an opinion. The oil thing cannot be overstated, I spend much time on YTmag forum answering concerns. A man on that forum spent $13000.00 replacing every lined plate in his 1370 Case tractor because an off brand oil unbonded the lining in the whole powershift, PTO and brake system. A very unusual problem but possible.

  4. #4bob_002014-12-08 00:40

    thanks melben for the detail responce case dealer is not cheep here 5 gal of hy-trans at 220$ canadien my guess is that aw 32 will be higher quality then the atf fluid for the hydrolic system but for the shuttle and transaxel i wil go with hy trans

  5. #5Pocho862014-12-08 11:17

    I have been working on case and almost all case equipment all my life. Check the hydraulic pressures, for each of those circuits. I dont recall the exact location for it but it may be n the pump in the front under radiator or under injection pump along frame. Flow test the hydraulic pump Hydraulic fluid I would recommend aw46 in moderate climates, 68 in hotter climates or 34 in colder climates

  6. #6mitch5042014-12-08 18:35

    I have owned a 580K for about 15 yrs and I find it very difficult to properly modulate the backhoe controls at 1200 rpm. Get up into the 1800 rpm plus range and with a little practice you can do it. If you have an extendahoe, it can be easier at first with it extended. Very few construction machines are designed to work at 1200 rpm, and too low a throttle setting can actually shorten engine life due to lugging, mostly with pre-computerized engines (like a K).

  7. #7bob_002014-12-08 18:56

    thanks Pocho86 i don t know were to test the pressure but the machine can lift it self 10 ft in the air and drag it self over the ground sound pretty strong to me thanks mitch504 i was sure ther was a reason for good old machine like this to be run full trothle next time i wil try at higher trothle

  8. #8Deon2014-12-08 19:27

    The sweat spot for backhoe operation on my Deere 310D is about 1700 - 1800 rpm. My friend with a 580SL says he usually runs his at slower rpm but he also said he finds it difficult to be smooth. Maybe he should also increase his rpm.

  9. #9bob_002014-12-08 19:46

    thanks deon