Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

446D Bucket Removal

mjones ยท 2014-12-08 09:52

Hi all new here to the fourm and I am hoping someone can help me out. I'm sure there is a simple way of doing this but can someone tell me how to get the backhoe bucket off? I can't seem to get the spring release to move far enough to release...I am guessing the bucket might have to be in a certain position? Thanks in advance Mark

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2014-12-08 10:35

    The illustration below shows the position the bucket should be in "according to the book" in order to remove it. In case you can't see it clearly the teeth are literally just kissing the ground. You then remove the safety pin and compress the spring with a bar from the back to release the rear end of the bucket. At this point the bucket should pivot towards the machine taking the teeth upwards away from the ground and you will be able to remove it using the machine hydraulics. This is in Cat's ideal world - your version of reality may differ.

  2. #2Shimmy12014-12-08 10:55

    You have to have it just a bit off the ground or there will be pressure on the hook. If you have it slightly dumped like Nice shows, when you compress the spring, the bucket will rotate free. I've always wondered why they didn't design it so you could lock the hook in the released position.

  3. #3PDG X2014-12-08 19:24

    After the locking pin is out, you can actually put down pressure on the bucket teeth and then curl the bucket hydraulics out like you are dumping the bucket. The bar is only needed if the coupler is corroded or stuck. I suggest if it hasn't been exercised lately, thoroughly pressure wash the whole mechanism then shoot some oil on the movable joints. After you do get it operating, grease the h-ll out of it. Contrary to suggestions, dirty grease on the coupler is better than it corroded and stuck.

  4. #4mjones2014-12-08 20:17

    Thanks to all who replied. I was on the right track but it was fairly dirty and corroded. We sprayed the hell out of it with WD40 before seeing the last reply and finally got it to pop out with a bar. After all that the frost bucket I was going to use was for a different machine...just another day in norther Alberta.