Looking at a 580k 2wd extendahoe. Some doubt as to the year and value. Took another look at it this morning and have the serial number. Anyone know the year and any problems that are found on this year. Serial # is JJG0029140. I would like to make an offer on this machine in the next few days. Needs rear tires and hose on extndahoe replaced. He was quoted 1200 to replace hoses and 1300 for tires. Wants 15K as is. A little rich, what do you think?
Like classic cars.... Condition counts more than years. Loose pins and deferred maintenance are costly to fix. Tires and hoses, while not cheap are to be expected. You need someone familiar with this model machine to look it over and advise you.
Ran the numbers on the net and came up with 88-91, phase 3 started at 2000 this one is in the 2900s so at least it is not one of the first ones. Maybe they made a 1000 units a year but I doubt it so smells like maybe a 90. Someone more knowledgeable than me could comment. It is only about 10 miles from here so I could drive it home, that is a big plus.
Don't know much about case, but 15K for a 2wd does sound a little high to me. I think Case 580K came out in the late 80"s, check out this link for a little more info. http://backhoedata.com/specifications/case-580k/
Ritchie brothers lists past auction results for a 580K as a high of $20,500, a median of $10,500 and a low of $5,500 out of a population of 55 units sold. This includes both 2WD & 4x4 drive plus a wide range of equipment and hours. As others have said, it really gets down to the condition of the individual machine and how it is equipped (4:1 bucket, extenda-hoe, EROPS, heat, AC,....). You might want to sort through the Ritchie data, find some similar machines and use this as a negotiating point.
Thanks for taking the time with Richie Bros. Just for the record this 580k phase 3 has a very good body with all glass and 4 in 1 bucket and ya gotta love that Cummins. I have the 5.9 diesel in a Dodge so I kinda like 'em. Mixed feelings about the Carraro transmission but it sounds like it is an improvement over the older model k. Talked to the Case dealer about the extendahoe and looks like about 4 hrs shop time plus parts. But,if I get it I might suck it up and do it myself; watched the you tube and it didn't look too bad.