Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K mechanical thumb length preferance

newdesertfox ยท 2018-08-31 16:53

I'm considering putting a mechanical thumb on my 580k extenda that may possibly upgrade to hydraulic. The machine isn't one that I'll be keeping for life so I was considering one of the more affordable titan attachments thumbs that's 5/8th steel. But Im curious as to what length of thumbs people prefer, I measured it and 32" seems to be what the bucket is and matches the teeth, but a lot of people I've heard use 36" buckets (my primary use would be brush and log clearing) Im curious which people preferred overall with the 32" matching the teeth or maybe being a tad bit short, vs the 36" which sounds more common but when I had a wooden mock up on it seemed to have some overlap.

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-08-31 20:59

    Most thumb mfrs. don't recommend that the thumb extends beyond the bucket teeth. Look at thumbs on ebay for measuring information. I had a lot of grief with my Titan thumb. I did not realize when I bought it that they make a DIY model that is made from 1/2 inch plate and the offer a extreme duty one of the same size made from 5/8 inch plate. Unfortunately I bought the DIY model. If you haven't read NH575E's thread I recommend that you do. It is here -------> HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2newdesertfox2018-09-01 00:33

    I was wondering about that, may have to remeasure. I've bought a few things from titan but the more I read and what I've experienced their quality is really taking a leap off the deep end with cheaper steels and cutting corners, I've broken 3 bolt on forks at the attachment point due to simply lazy and poor quality/thickness steel. Not really sure at this point anymore that I'm wanting a welded thumb of a similar quality

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-09-01 07:15

    Maybe, just a maybe, the extreme model Titan sells would work ok. But, there is no reason in the world that I should have had to buy that expensive heavy wall pipe and make the modifications I did to my thumb. The grade 8 bolts for pins, the heavy wall pipe , and the welding rods added about $85.00 to the cost of the cheap POS. Perhaps a 580 T/L/B would not develop the hydraulic force that my 680 doe's. I posted before I never need to run the engine above idle to use the backhoe.