Hey Guys, I've change oil in plenty of cars/Trucks and Equip... But I looked like a greenhorn when I tried to change the Oil in my Case 580K It's up north... so most of my tools are 200 miles south... A couple weeks ago I tried to change the oil , But someone torqued the hell out of the plug... a Box End wrench skipped on it.... So this time I brought a pipe wrench and a good pair of Vise Grips... Very awkward place for the oil drain plug... Pipe Wrench didn't fit.... Vise Grips did... But bad angle to turn the bolt... FINALLY , I got the plug loose.... So I snugged it back... and ran the Backhoe for a while... Got the oil hot and went to change it... The First time I had a 5 gal bucket under it... I though , I don't want to get it all oily... So a few milk jugs and a big funnel should do the trick.... WRONG !!!! Did I mention this plug is in a BAD spot.... I took off the HOT plug.... Oil went EVERYWHERE.... ( Three Directions ) I caught about HALF the oil.... Next time.... It's the 5 gal bucket.... I brought a grinder along... I cleaned up the head of the Plug.... . Here's the Tip.... Don't put the plug back on until you've pulled the Oil Filter... It holds more oil ( by Suction ) in the system.... Not much... . Gotta Fly... . PS The Mice sure like S-H-I-T-ing in the Cab of my Backhoe... and chewing on the foam . .
For anyone wanting to know - the engine sump plug on a 580K (any 4-390 or 6-590) is 17mm! Don't know how many times I have seen guys using 11/16" to do the job - it is bigger & will round off a tight plug with repeated efforts. I use a shute to drain the oil on a 4wd K,L,M etc, to stop the spread of oil as it hits the driveshaft guard. I cut an oil container as shown (X is waste) & slip the shute between the sump & the guard frame. Use a bigger container to start with (10lt) as they have a bigger cap or drain hole.
Ahhh, I was wondering about the size of that Plug... I thought , No way is the "CASE" bolt metric.... But after the Box end wrench "Jumped"... I had second thoughts... Good tip on controlling the flow of oil to a better area... . . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz . .