Hi, hope I can get some good input. Been looking at 580k backhoes and been keen on the phase one because of ease of repair if shuttle shift. However seems all I come across are phase 2 with tranny shifter on the fender. Question: What is involved in repair of the shuttle on the phase two? Should I just wait till a good phase one comes along or is the phase two okay. Looked at a phase 2 with 4000 hours on it and was tempted. I do all my own work so I don't want to split the thing. Would like to hear from someone who did a shuttle repair on a phase two. Also, what years were phase one built? Thanks in advance for those that reply.
I guess what I really want to know are phase 2 poison or not?
A whole lotta views and no responses so I'll take a stab at it. First off, there isn't a phase two. Case 580K after SN JJG0020000 is known as a phase 3, and everything below is a phase 1. I own a phase one machine and understand where you are coming from about the ease of pulling the shuttle, but would in no way be afraid of a phase 3 machine. I think for the most part, their machinery line represents constant improvements from one model to the next. What's really important is how the individual machine you're looking at has been treated, and what's left of it. I think most people will agree, all are good backhoes if maintained and operated properly. Hope this helps a little.
Phase 2 shifter was on the fender with elaborate linkage, Phase three came through the floorboard. - Same transmission, different shift linkage
If the shuttle shift goes on the phase 2-3, the one with the Carro tranny, do you have to split the tractor? How it was treated is a question hard to answer when looking at a used machine. They all seem to have been owned by little old ladies and used just on Sunday!
Mine was owned by Cruella De Vil and almost killed my puppy.
Y'all got tranny's in Canada??? I thought most of those were in San Francisco, Ca. Tinker Bell must have owned my 580K. Over 7K hours, not a weld anywhere on it and all the pins and bushings are tight. I tend to rely more on what I see than by what I'm told.
The original 580 K had the shifter stick on the right coming up through a hole in the floorboard just ahead of the bottom left of the console. It shifted the old Case 4 speed transmission and differential used in various units through Case history, from the D series on through mid K production with varying upgrades over the years. Phase 3 (there was no phase 2 to my knowledge) transmissions were a massive in comparison transaxle utilizing the shared transmission as used in the Maxxum farm tractor which had the shuttle shift designed into the transmission. Units with this design were shifted by the lever coming out of the RH console top. This shifter had rods that went down to levers coming out the RH side of the 4 speed area of the transmission. This transaxle was fed power from a converter housing and front pump which contained a couple regulator valves and with a filter mounted on that housing. The transaxle housing contained the oil for the drive system. When first introduced I felt that the shuttle being in the main transmission and therefore harder to access would be a major headache. I could not have been more wrong, these were way more durable shuttles than the old Borg Warner units and in my experience way more trouble free. One disadvantage but not a major problem was the internal wet brake design requiring axle housing removal to access the brake plates and brake piston seals. I did many of those without dropping the transaxle, just loosening it enough to allow the side to be serviced housing to clear the frame and rolling the housing out on a tranny jack. Not without fault but good nevertheless. Mel
So Mel a 580K with the shifter on the fender, it is a 1997, would be a good one with around 4000hrs? If this backhoe has a problem going forward or reverse does the thing have to be split?
Removal of the shuttle clutch pack involves removing the park brake housing, entire front cover of the transmission, and removing a shaft assembly to allow the shuttle pack to slide out without gear obstruction. It is definitely a job for the transaxle on the floor and out from under the machine, there is setup procedures for the front pinion gear bearing clearance. As with anything the unexpected can happen but I have only seen the shuttle pack out of a couple of them, if the transmission oil and filters have been taken care of you stand a very good chance of getting a good unit. The Case shuttle easily outlasts any Borg with the bellville washer setup on the front clutch. If you have the option Warm the trans oil by doing a stall test and check the F&R shift for firmness of engagement. As I stated in my earlier post, brake problems were much more prevalent and I would check for engagement on first push and chatter when near a stop. With reasonable care you should get a decent machine at 4000 HRS, general appearance will tell you if the machine has been cared for or neglected. Mel
Mel: Looked at a 580k 2wd Carro transmission, says it is a 1997. Where is the serial number located? Good tight hoe, shows 4000 hrs, state used it to load sand. Only issues are: rear differential shot, does not look like too big a job. The extendahoe does not. Says hose let go inside extendahoe so he capped the line and pinned the hoe in the up position. Said it would cost 1200 to replace hose. Is this a big job or something I can do on the farm? Engine runs clean and sounds fine. Brakes have new lines and full peddle on first push. Cab rust free, one door has lower rust.Took it for a spin and shifts a little awkward but does. Really tempted on this one around 15k. Rear tires are about 30% so for traction around the farm with 2wd it looks like tires too. What think you folks?