Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 710c hydraulic pressure loads up and engine stalls out

dwagidig ยท 2015-10-01 21:03

My backhoe starts out fine than in about 5 minutes or so, the engine starts to strain. If I operate the loader or backhoe controls the engine strains and dies out. The same thing happens when I am moving. I am stumpped

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2015-10-01 21:50

    Any smoke from the muffler when the engine strains and dies out?

  2. #2lantraxco2015-10-01 22:39

    Hydraulic pump stroke control valve, priority valve, an internal leak somewhere in the loader or backhoe valves. Need to start by checking pump standby pressure, and flow if possible. You should have a constant pressure with near zero flow when not working the loader or hoe. The pump always tries to put out enough oil to keep the pressure at like 2,500 psi, if there's a leak, or I think there's a main relief in the priority valve that could be opening at a lower pressure, the pump keeps pumping more and more oil to try to keep the pressure up. If it can't fill the hole pretty soon you've got maximum pump output going nowhere pulling the engine down. If by chance someone has adjusted the pump pressure setting higher than the main relief, or the main relief is not holding pressure it's dumping oil over the relief. That would be my guess.

  3. #3dwagidig2015-10-02 12:49

    I wil try again and see if it does smoke. Thank you

  4. #4dwagidig2015-10-02 12:56

    I will test the system and see. Thank you for narrowing down the area to look at.