I have found that my gear has not much teeth left on it and is due to be replaced! If someone has the knowledge and or a manual it would make my day! Is there somewhere that a manual could be downloaded and of found? I have only discovered this by the grinding "noise", and removing the rear cover to discover the mess!
I just had a chat with a "CAT" lad and he saying I should drop the Transaxle Differential, He says that the fluid would of been contaminated and spreed to the other parts of the system, So there may be other items like bearings, and seals to be changed as well. looks like is a bigger job then i thought!
Drop the unit, it is self contained, only holds 5gal lube and does not mix with any thing other than the 4 speed and rear end. It takes about a good hour + depending on the tools you have and cribbing. It's not a bad job to repair, just need to get it set out of the machine first and you can go with it, keep your shims together so you have a starting point when you start building it back.
Do have the unit on the floor, and found a Service Manual from tradebit.com. https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/213337891-case-580k-prior-to-jjg0020000-phase-1 The funny part is "Did i get myself into something over my head? As i bang my head on the bucket! :beatsme
Those bucket challenges have been tough on many wrenches and operators over the years. I had a meat packers small hard hat that I would wear more than a full size hard hat years ago while working on heavy equipment. Then with out warning they made me give it up, and issued a new full size hard that could keep me and the machine dry in a rain storm. Wish I would have been wearing my standard hard hat then. Ha! Ha! Be careful around and under equipment, even a bike helmet is better than nothing, to minimize head injuries. Good to hear you were able to get the rear/trans out and find a book/down load.
O Boy I now have it all apart and spread across the shop, It would seem that its a lot deeper then I thought, The bull Gear as well as many of the trany gears are fobar, The Synchronizer as well!! Any suggestions or should I just put it all in a bin and RUN!! :drinkup
Decent used axle is what you need. Machined parts are about $50-60 per pound. And you probably have 100 pounds of parts. I was rebuilding a VW transaxle 40 years ago, back then it was about $10 per pound for synchros, shift forks, gears, and bearings.
lol o would be nice to scrap it all, but unforchantly it would seem the boss wants me to get it back in service asap! Have priced some of the parts from the Dealer and omg, would be better to find another Backhoe! Just one of the gears that i need is 1000 cheaper on ebay. So im shopping around and this may delay this request from the boss Any one have any ideas or suggestions on assembly and where to find some of the remainder of the pieces that i need? Reading the service manual would seem i'm in to heating some of the bearings to install them. Some one told me that when im older in my rocker id be learning new things! only to forget other things. :beatsme
Try Joseph Industries. I have purchased from them and they had decent prices for me, and I did a lot of searching for transmission gears and synchronizers. http://www.joseph.com/
580K Transaxle Parts I did contact Rick at Joseph Ind. And there was only a few bearings that he was able to supply. The box needs some of the gears and shafts etc, So if anybody has any idea where to find parts for this old Transaxle please let me know! Its the older Case 580K where the 1-4 shiftier with the diff all in one case. Any help will be much thanked :notworthy please I beg!!! It would seem I'm not going to have this ready tonight. :Banghead lol but the boss is scratching at the door!
Here is a link to Dale Weiss. He is a retired Case dealer and is still selling new,used and aftermarket Case parts. He is the most knowledgeable person I have ever dealt with when I had problems. Not only for parts but, like Melben and Alrman he has a lifetime of experience with about every kind of Case problem you will come up with. http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/
I just sent my list off to Dale, I'm learning there is wisdom out there in never never land! :notworthy I'm taking this one on as a challenge, not that I don't have any thing to do. (the list never ends) I have found that there is so much available aftermarket, that makes this job worth doing instead of scraping the tractor! I will just give the boss the look when he asks when is it going to be ready!
To think I was a bodyman and hated gear oil! :duh
Here is a link to my thread. I just went through this last year and it is still very fresh in my head. There are several important things to look for that may have caused the problem. If you have any questions I can possibly help. There is a website that sells a lot of aftermarket parts you may need for a fair price. Most of the bearings and seals can be purchasd through a local bearing distributor at a cheaper price. Some of the seals are special and only case sources them. HeavyEquipmentForums
All the mangled gears are not in the scrap bin! :update The transaxle is now back in or under the 580k with many new parts gears and shafts. I did return the oem pinion and ring and used the aftermarket one so that I could afford the new used case after finding a crack where the pinion bearing sits. And yes thumbs up to Dale Weiss :thumbsup " Tractor Stoff " http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/ Dale sent me a skid of parts a new used case, gears, shafts, bearings and all the shims, thrust washers, and setup washers to compleat the task! Making it a most pleasant reassembly job that i have done in some time! I Thank all :drinkup that gave me the help and leeds that I so desperately needed or would still be digging my grave. :notworthy Now the drivetrains working and the tractors back on the ground I have pulled the hood and rad out so I can find out why its braking the motor mount bolts and spinning out the splines on the pump, more head banging to come OMG :Banghead
I got my parts on ebay also try broken tractor.com tell your boss fix it right the first time it will cost you triple in downtime and money by rigging it . It happened to me!!!!!!!