Hey all, I just flushed my cooling system on the weekend, fired it up everything was looking good.... Than I went to lower the boom after work today (3days after I was working on it) and I noticed some coolant leaking, so I pulled off the side panel, it appears to be coming from what looks like a port/ hole on the outside of the water pump. It's near the edge of the pump near the gasket.... The gasket is only 5 months old and it has worked great all summer. Is there a known relief hole or something on the sides of these water pumps? Thanks -Rick
Every water pump I've seen has a drain hole so that the seal leakage isn't forced into the bearing. So if the coolant is coming out of a hole I would guess the seal is leaking.
In my experience it's not uncommon to lose a water pump seal after flushing, either due to disturbing a lot of contaminant material or from accidentally running the pump dry at some point, the ceramic or teflon seals don't like it. Yes, as Delmer said, water pumps have a drain hole between the seal and the bearings.
Awesome thanks guys, I'll go pick one up today!