Hey Guys, I bought a 1990 580K Backhoe with Extend a hoe , 4 in 1 , Cab and 4 X4... ( 4100 hrs ) I've been working it on personal projects... Stumps...and brush clearing, earth moving... I drove it to the Gas Station about 4 miles away... up hill , down hill Steering was good and solid... 4th gear up the hills was just fine... Sometimes I needed to lock in the differential when moving some dirt... Backing out up hill it would spin.... my tires need changing... I'd lock in the differential... everything worked fine... although , some times I needed to lock in the 4 X 4 to get out.... It ended up being a great "Test" week . Really liking this Case... Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz .
Cool. I just got an '87 580K myself. I wish mine was in as good of shape as yours. Still have lots of work to do on it. Have you had any issues with rust in the lower cab sides? Mine is bad on the left side. Not good when you can look down and see the rear tire spinning. Your girl looks right at home in there. Better watch out. She'll be runnin that thing like a pro if you let her.
if you are having trouble with wheelspin, try using a higher gear, so many operators make the mistake of using first gear when a higher gear is more appropriate.I have been driving 180 loaders/hoe for more than 30 years
I "do" have mild rust... The Backhoe was in Wisconsin... another "Salt" state... But I can't see thru it like you mentioned... The Girl is my Girlfriend's Gran-daughter , She's 9.... I did teach her the controls... then took some video. She did pretty good... Gotta Fly... . .
In this case a higher gear would be abusing the machine... the tires are almost bald... Not to mention abusing the tranny... It was uphill , backwards , moist/slick dirt and bald tires.... Spinning the wheels faster doesn't sound like the solution... I'm not a beginner... In fact , I've been involved with heavy equip all my life... ( Bay Excavators - Bay Area, CA ) . Gotta Fly... . PS I don't "Drive" the loader... I Operate it... . .
Very nice. I can't wait to get one of my own. I'm sure my daughter (who is not even 2) will find her way behind the controls as well.
When your "Greasing" the Machine , It's nice to have someone in the cab.... Girlfriend or kid , they love the chance to learn more about it... and it's a good time to teach "Safety".... . I'm getting "NEW" Firestone 19.5 X 24 tires this weekend... ( $745 each .... $50 mount ) Looks like I'll be dropping about $1700 after taxes... . Gotta Fly... . .
Yeah, I'm sure I will find out sooner than later. Just closed the deal on an 87 580K with only 1433 hours on it.
Way ta go ! What plans do you have for it ? . . I got my tires today.... I also had bought a RH door window... the one that swings open... Someone had put an acrylic piece in it's place.... But there are part galore online... Bought a new window for $120 / $18 shipping... It has 8 holes drilled into it for the hinges and window latch... So it seems like a fair price... Looks really good after I installed it... the old plastic was hazed... not safe... . Gotta Fly... . .
how would using a higher gear abuse the machine? The torque converter sends less power to the wheels. Any operator/driver who spins the tyres is showing they are not as good as they think they are.Machine abuse costs money
what does torque converter have to do with clutch disc... ? a higher gear will create more friction... and maybe wear.... maybe that's why some of these machines don't work so well in the higher gears for travel ... . How do you spin the tires in a Low Gear ??? You don't... it's the MUD ... If you drive a car on snow... and the wheels are spinning.... does it help to spin them FASTER ??? NO... it doesn't Sorry , your not going to convince me a higher gear was needed... New tires are what was needed... Just gott'em yesterday... . Gotta Fly... . .
your answer tells me all I need to know
Yourz too... KMA Gotta Fly... . . PS I added you to my "Ignore List".... I don't need your sarcastic remarks or "Flip" suggestions...
Tire condition Hey Guys, I took a couple pictures of the new and old tires... You can see wear spots on the old one... the flat part was rubbing the ground instead of riding on the treads... . Gotta Fly... PS I also changed the RH window on the Door.... It was a temp acrylic window ... very hazy .
What I called "Clutch Disc"... are really called "Friction Discs"... But I figured anyone would know what I meant... Especially since there is no clutch... I'll try to attach the PDF exploded view of the tranny... I can't do it here... I'll need to print the page... then scan it... I'll do that when I get back home... . . My point was , When you load a higher gear than needed... You put extra friction on the plates... causing extra wear... Not to mention "Dogging" the engine... I guess if your operating "Someone else's machine".... you wouldn't care about it.... . . Gotta Fly... . . . .
Thats a nice machine there. Never operated the k series, just the c, e, and m. Good thing your replacing those tires because they look balder then a babys bum. I guess they were a solid machine hopefully yours holds up if you take care of it.
I'm not sure if I operated the "K" series before myself... Your right , it does feel like a solid machine... and strong... even without turbo . Gotta Fly... PS yes those babies were pretty bald... . .
Friction Disc I got a copy of the assembly view that shows the friction discs I was talking about... . Gotta Fly... . . .
Seems to me that if this starts acting like I've heard others talk about... as in slipping... I've heard of 1000 to 15 hundred being dumped into it... I think I'd just buy a rebuilt tranny for $2500 . Engines are pretty cheap too... Full engine for only $4200 ( Not Short Block... Not Long Block ) . . I love the part supplies for these machines.... and easy to find "online" . Gotta Fly... .