Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k starter pouring oil

RevLimiter ยท 2015-11-09 13:36

A recent problem has developed in my case 580k construction king: oil is pouring from the area where the starter mounts to the bell housing. I tightened out it up and it stopped but has begun again and the bolts are still tight. I can't find anywhere that says I need a gasket in between the two, online or in the book. I have seen many forum posts about oil leaking from starters on 580s but none are for the 'K' model. The oil is a murky grey-black and smells like gear oil. I can't feel or detect oil in the housing with the starter off. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'm a small engine mechanic at a golf course, not a heavy equipment mechanic on large diesel engines, but this one has me stumped and we need the machine for flood cleanup and we can't have it pumping oil all over the course. Please help! Thanks, The Rev

Replies11
  1. #1Blueboy2015-11-09 14:05

    I'm not familiar with this machine but how is the oil level in the engine?

  2. #2Dirtdauber2015-11-09 16:16

    There is a threaded hole in the bottom of the bell housing. Is it open?

  3. #3melben2015-11-09 17:28

    Yes, DD is right, the threaded hole in the bell housing is not supposed to be plugged, how long have you had this machine? If the oil is leaking into the bell housing the front transmission pump seal or the rear engine seal is leaking. Let us know, the hole you are looking for is abut an inch pipe so not hard to see.

  4. #4Dirtdauber2015-11-10 07:51

    He said it smelled like gear oil. Might some unscrupulous seller have put some gear oil in the shuttle thinking this would slow a leak, then plug the hole in the bellhousing in order to hide that problem from a potential buyer? That's why you asked how long he had owned the machine wasn't it? IMHO, even if the shuttle is leaking, it not that big of a deal and certainly not reason enough to sell a good backhoe. My shuttle is working like a new one now and again, I appreciate the assistance you gave me.

  5. #5RevLimiter2015-11-10 10:12

    The golf course has had the machine since sometime in the 90s I'm assuming. My superintendent has been here 15 years and he says they've had it the whole time. And yes, the hole is plugged. Should I pull the plug out?

  6. #6Dirtdauber2015-11-10 10:30

    Yes. there isn't supposed to be a plug in the bottom of the bellhousing, be sure you're looking at the right place. Get a good sized drain pan, you're probably gonna need it. What I don't understand it the gear oil smell. There isn't supposed to be anything with that odor near that area. Is this a phase 1 or phase 3 machine? Have you been adding oil to anything? If so, what kind?

  7. #7RevLimiter2015-11-10 11:00

    It is a phase 1 prior to serial number JJG0020000. At least that's what my book says. The oil is not engine oil, my guess is hydraulic from the shuttle. I checked the level and it was actually a little over full. Though the engine was off (not sure if it needs to be running like an automatic trans), and the fluid was cold. (I know it expands under heat) Could the seal in the back of the shuttle have worn out and is pumping hydro fluid into the bellhousing?

  8. #8Dirtdauber2015-11-10 11:33

    Still don't understand the gear oil odor. Yes, the engine should be running and the temp gauge on the shuttle up a good bit when checking the fluid level. There isn't supposed to be ANY oil in the bellhousing and if there is, it must be coming from either the engine or the shuttle. The hole is in the bellhousing is for access to the torque converter drain and to the best of my knowledge, it's supposed to be open, because if a leak develops and it's plugged, you won't know it until oil starts leaking out elsewhere, such as around the starter.

  9. #9RevLimiter2015-11-10 12:06

    New development: I'm an idiot. I pulled the plug on the side of the engine opposite the starter the access point to turn the flywheel. It's definitely engine oil, it has that diesel exhaust smell. Here's the best part: the oil dipstick has come apart some time in the past and I can't check the level.

  10. #10Dirtdauber2015-11-10 12:30

    No, you're not an idiot because you used the facts in front of you, to arrive at the correct conclusion. A whole lot of people are incapable of doing that.

  11. #11Johnnymc2020-08-30 22:36

    I'm having the same problem with a 1989 580k I just bought. There is not a plug in the bell housing on mine. Dark oil started dripping out after using the machine about an hour. The engine oil is new and clean. So where would this oil be coming from ? I guess I would call it a "moderate" drip. Is there a way to check the fluid level from wherever its leaking from ? Could it have just been overfilled by the dealer ? Is it a major problem ? I'm brand new on here and this is my first backhoe I've owned so I'm learning as I go. Thanks in advance for any help.