Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k tachometer

Steve111 · 2019-07-20 13:21

Hey guys. My case 580k's tachometer doesn't work. The hours work fine on it but when you turn it on needle just goes around and shakes. Does anyone have any advice? All wires look fine. Maybe the gauge is just shot

Replies4
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-07-20 22:58

    Check voltage at tach connector and at alt. I believe it’s the red and white wire

  2. #2Steve1112019-07-26 19:43

    Can't figure this thing out. Ran a wire direct from alternatoe to tach and same thing. Cleaned all connections and even took tach apart and looked at circuit board and it looked super clean.

  3. #3JL Sargent2019-07-26 20:16

    If you have a multimeter, the output of the alternator going to the tack should be an AC signal when referenced to ground. Can you check for that?

  4. #4Steve1112019-07-26 20:56

    I will test that tomorrow. The gauge is at zero when off but then just jumps to 3k when u turn it on and stays there. Every other gauge works besides that one. Its not a big deal but I would love to get it working.