Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k will not move until warms up

fasstang65 ยท 2010-06-21 01:09

Haven't been on in a long time! My 1988 580k will not move forward or backward until the machine warms up and keep putting in forward and reverse. Once it finally starts to move then it is fine in both forward and reverse and has all kinds of pushing power? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Replies12
  1. #1carogator2010-06-21 21:13

    MY Ford acted the same way. After engine warmed up, you could rec up to 1800 and then the converter would kick in and everything worked fine. Turned out to be the charge pump.

  2. #2alrman2010-06-22 04:14

    Need to know if you have shuttle & transaxle or phase 3? either way it does sound like a pump problem.

  3. #3old yellow2010-06-30 05:54

    Hi guys, I have an old 1970 something 580ck with exactly the same symptoms as fasstang65. Mine is a shuttle and I would love to hear the result, because spending 15 minutes getting it running really spoils it for the small jobs around the block.

  4. #4s11202010-06-30 12:25

    Check out this post yellow Info in there is closer to our older models.

  5. #5Phil2010-06-30 19:34

    Old yellow, Welcome to the forum mate:drinkup:drinkup Does your dash clutch pressure gauge work? Does it register in the green when cold and when in gear. What type of oil is in the shuttle compartment(not to be confused with the transaxle compartment)? Phil

  6. #6old yellow2010-06-30 21:52

    Thanks Phil, My gauge does work, and when cold in neutral sits right in the middle of the green, when you put it in drive It momentarily drops to a quarter inch below the green then lifts back to one eighth below. When you first start doing this you will feel a slight bump but nothing else, if you continue to put it in F&R with a few revs the bumps become stronger until each shift produces small movements. Eventually these movements are long enough to drive, then strong enough drive for normal operation. Once the drive is strong enough for normal operation and it is nice and warm the needle falls to 1/8 below when first shifted, then runs just on the bottom of the green when in F or R. I will have to check the specs for the oil but it is the one recommended in castrols manual for both the hydraulics and the shuttle, the grade is 430. s1120, I have read through the forum before posting and although similar the problem may not be the same. I have no water contamination problems as the fluids all appear nice and clear and I definitely have them all in the right place. Cheers Colin

  7. #7old yellow2010-07-03 19:39

    Hi Phil, My shuttle oil is Castrol TCH 430 Been keeping an eye on your other thread, reading about the 580, looking forward to finishing my own shed so I can do some repair work on my machine. Looked at getting the local mech but he insistes the 580 is not worth working on and that I should either buy another much newer one, or get contractors in when I need them. But like my old cropmaster, I like it because few others have them.

  8. #8Phil2010-07-03 21:41

    It's normal for the pressure on the dash gauge to fall momentarily when shifting. When it doesn't come back to the original location, in the 'green', it can be a sign of excessive internal leakage in the shuttle assembly, or lack of volume available to maintain that clutch apply pressure, or both. A higher indicated pressure on the dash gauge, when warm and engaged, may be a sign of a partially plugged pump intake screen. This is very common on the CK and B models. As for the drive problem when cold, these machines will usually still move when the pressure is at or just below the edge of the green, engaged. But they may have a slow weak shift and require their engine speed kept low until pressure builds. However on a gauge possibly 40 years old, calibration may be out of spec, and pressure checks with an accurate test gauge give a better picture. Phil

  9. #9old yellow2010-07-03 22:09

    I have only changed the oils and filters, I have never checked the intake screen. Can I do this without splitting the transmission or removing the tank? You have probably covered this somewhere else on the forum, so do you have a link to help me study how it is done to save you typing the same thing all over again, and me from trolling through 400 plus pages of text. Cheers Colin

  10. #10MrKomatsu2010-07-03 22:12

    sounds like charge pump......also check pressure relief on housing.....

  11. #11old yellow2010-07-03 22:14

    Now I am able to post pictures I will take some low res ones to show people The hoe on mine looks different to others I have seen on the threads here.

  12. #12old yellow2010-07-03 22:16

    Charge pump sounds good.....Better than removing shuttle