I have a 1998 580l the transmission suddenly stopped working this week. A little back history it did this about 6 months ago as well. The first time it i disengage the 4x4 and it was just dead right there. I switched the 4x4 a couple times and changed gears and shuttled between forward and reverse and it has worked every since. Well this week it did the same thing except when the 4x4 was engauged. Now it sits and don't move at all. I was leaning towards an electrical problem so I called the shop and had them send a truck out. They say the electrical side is fine and it is most likely the charge pump. Has anyone here ever changed a charge pump out? I'm not really wanting to spend that much money as the estimate I got. Any idea how the easiest way to change one is? Is that the most logical place to start? Anything else I should also change in the process?
Did the service tech do a pressure test of transmission? Those models had a problem with the shuttle interlock relay and directional relay going bad. If you had this problem before and it corrected itself for a time I'd replace the two relays for the shuttle part numbers 347706A3 and 87355337 the location is on the fuse and relay panel cover, one of them is a long relay and kind of off to itself upper left.
If it's like a Deere, I would think your MFWD is spring applied and hydraulically released. I imagine the tech used a pressure gauge and measured your trans system pressure with the MFWD disengaged and saw a low pressure reading. I would check the transmission pressure regulating valve, filter, and any screens before I bought/installed anything. Have you seen any fluid running up the dipstick tube?
Tech said Trans is not pumping oil at all zero
Installing the charge pump does not look too bad on my 1998 Deere backhoe. Are you pretty mechanical? What's the difference between having it installed and doing it yourself money wise?
I wouldn't say I'm mechanical. In the respect I can not diagnosis a problem. But I'm a pretty decent parts changer. I have replaced the motor in this machine once already. I'm not afraid to give it a shot heck I've rebuilt complete motors. Transmissions are another story I can bolt one in from a scrap yard just don't ask me to open up the shell of one! As far as money goes it will cost me about 1k in parts if I do it myself. If I have the dealer do it it will cost me around 4k. These numbers are based upon the assumption that it actually is the charge pump.
I have rebuilt several of these transmissions. Aftermarket parts are plentiful. I would hope for your sake the transmission pump alone would solve your issue. However, the ones that I have seen with pump failure have contaminated the transmission and required a complete tear down for cleaning and inspection. The torque converter is a welded unit and needs replacing if metal contamination has occurred. The transmission pump is located behind the torque converter.
Can one simply pull the motor then take the pump off the front of the transmission without getting into the trans?
Yes, you can pull the engine, remove the torque converter and there sits the transmission pump. After you remove the pump and disassemble it you can determine if you have to go further or not.
How do I know if I got to go further? I was assuming pull motor replace pump and torque converter, reinstall motor and hope machine moves
Pump failure can cause and be caused by metal contamination.