It looks like I have a plug in the backhoe valve that has rusted and is leaking. It looks like it is on the dipper valve. I doubt there is enough left of it to get a wrench on it. Maybe I can get a bite on it with vice grips. It leaks as long as the machine is running and sometimes when it is not. I could sure use some ideas on how to get this apart without destroying anything. Thanks in advance. I'll post pictures and diagrams as I piece this together.
You have nothing to lose by trying the vice grips. If it strips you can weld a nut to it and it will almost always come out that way. But post the picture first, in case this is something different.
Plug on the dipper section of the control valve? I'm like Delmer, a pic sure would help. Nevertheless, I assume it's a hex head plug since you mentioned not much left to get a wrench on. And I don't know what kind of access you have either. But if you can place a brass drift on top of the plug and give it some good whacks with a hammer, you'd be surprise at how well that will disturb a threaded fitting and make it come loose with ease.
It is an anti-cavitation valve based on my documentation. I didn't find a torque specification for it but am assuming 20 ft/lbs or so. Sound about right? I didn't get back under there yet.
Any chance you can get a socket on it? If there's room for a vice grips there's probably a better way to get it out.
If I'm looking at the correct valve section at the parts pages, there's a 568-910 o-ring sealing that plug, could be nothing more than a failed o-ring.
The leaking plug is behind the hose and I will take the hose loose. With some luck a socket will grab enough to loosen the plug. With more luck I won't evan get a shower in hydraulic fluid.
I've seen worse, but I can't remember when... that's ugly.
Open the hydraulic oil tank cap and cycle the backhoe controls. That will relieve pressure. Make sure to put a drain pan underneath the backhoe valve to save on cleaning the mess.
What kind of conditions does or did that hoe reside in? I do not ever remember seeing that kind of deterioration, you may have to heat just to get the hose off its fitting!! Here in Pa. I would say it was backed up to a salt /calcium pile for storage, that makes a real mess also
I've seen worse, but only at a rendering plant :throwup
If that hoe has resided on the Gulf Coast for pretty much all it's life it's quite common, the salt water and the sand that's equally high in salt content causes that kind of deterioration, I've seen it on other machines that came from the deep south.
crow foot wrenches saved the day for me and the bottle torch too