I'm trying to figure out what I need to do next. I'm not super familiar with hydraulic equipment - this is my first one. While I was working, the boom swung left and kept going until it reached max. I managed to get it back in position using a tree. Found one of the hoses from the swing cylinder to the combination valve had burst. Took the backhoe off the tractor and replaced both hoses to the swing cylinders. Started getting things back together and found that the backhoe was not lined up with the tractor. Tractor won't drive on the sand, other than back up the few inches I moved it to work. Tried to use the backhoe controls to line it back up. With all the hoses hooked back up, the boom still won't swing right. When I push the swing lever forward, it doesn't move. I believe this is because the boom is fully swung to the left. When I pull it, the lever moves as normal, but there is no boom movement. I assumed this might be due to the system being low on fluid, but every other hydraulic cylinder still works. I also found a piece of rubber blocking the breather at the back of the right swing cylinder. I've removed this now. Should there be oil in this part of the system? I'm not sure how it would get in there normally, unless it is supposed to flow by the piston. Tomorrow, I plan to replace the breather hose, which is damaged and squirting oil out.
I am not familiar with the 4500 but as a guess you have bad piston seals now, the only way for oil to be squirting out a breather line. I can look up the 4500 but apparently the backhoe is a separate attachment, is there a model plate on the hoe?
I'm going to see if I can find the actual model plat. I think it's a 755-series. I'd be surprised if there were any plates still on it. Been looking for a seal kit this evening, but coming up short.
That piece of rubber is probably part of the piston seal in that cylinder. The 755 parts breakdown shows either individual breathers or an update kit that just has a low pressure push on hose connecting the rear ports of both swing cylinders. Might as well yank that cylinder out while you have access to it? http://partstore.construction.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr62221ar173631 Maybe?
I'm going to repack both cylinders, if I can get them off. Right now, the boom is swung all the way to the left, and the backhoe has almost fallen over. We had a lot of rain here, making the ground very soft. I can't get the pin out of the swing chain on the right cylinder because it is fully extended and the bolt is trapped by the bottom of the swing pin. The left cylinder is trapped inside the body of the hoe and the chain is not accessable. I think I'm going to have to wait for someone to bring over a bigger piece of machinery to get this thing righted. I thought about removing the hoses to both cylinders and jacking up the body to get it upright and supported. After that, I might be able to turn it on the swing pin and get it straight. Trying not to get killed doing this.
Roger that, ain't no piece of machinery worth getting injured for, let alone a ticket for a dirt nap.
I'm wondering where else rubber chunks may have ended up. Another thought, if the boom is all the way to the left, is it possible the right piston is past (on the wrong side) the port hole. AFTER you get your machine on level ground, and if you can get the boom back towards center, maybe it might work again.
Unless there's a mechanical stop missing, the cylinder should be okay, but you do have a point. Between the piston packing and the blown hose I have to wonder if there was some kind of hard pressure spike.....
We got it upright today using a tractor and chain wrapped around the boom. Blocked it up with 4x4s so it would stay. Dug out around the left stabilizer and attached a chain to it. Managed to pull it a few inches, moving the boom to the right enough to get the bolt out that connects the chain to the right cylinder. Rod in the cylinder slid back inside with just finger pressure and a mix of oil and air blew out the breather port. I don't think any rubber escaped from the old port - it was pretty much occluded. Took the cylinder to a local shop. Should hear back on it tomorrow.
Looks like the cylinder is toast. Rod is broken and worn. Barrel is damaged inside. They want about $700 for a new rod, barrel, and repacking. Anyone know where I might be able to find one on salvage?
Check http://www.machinerytrader.com/drilldown/modellist.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=FORD
Can you post some pics? It may very well be toast but I'd like to see how bad it really is.
I don't have any pictures. Just what I was told by the shop.