Hi. My 1st day to post here ,but a regular searching for help when needed. I have a 97 model Case 580l backhoe. It has the carerro transmission {shuttle shift}. The other day I noticed that the tranny was jerky. It was wet ,so I thought I had hit a slippery spot on the ground where I had been digging. A couple days later when I moved it ,I noticed that it didn't seem to be slipping but more like an electrical problem. It felt just like I was pushing the clutch disengage button, but I wasn't. So I came to this forum looking for help. I have since changed the transmission oil and filter. I removed the other smaller screen filter and cleaned it. I had heard that maybe the circlip had broken and part would be found in this screen. There was just a few very small crumbles of something. Couldn't make out what it was .After all this the problem is still there. The machine shifts in forward and reverse as it should but I have to maintain slight pressure on the 1-4 shifter lever . If I let go machine stops moving. It then will start jerking at idle speed, going in and out of gear in both forward and reverse position.. Does this sound like maybe the circlip has broken on the control valve, or is there some sort of adjustment in tranny on the shifting lever itself? I have searched and cant find any adjustment on the shifter lever. But at idle speed holding pressure on 1-4 shifter causes machine to move as it should. I have not tried above idle speed .Didn't want to risk breaking anything.
Congratulations on your first post @larry guess If moving the 4sp gearshift lever has an effect on your problem - the first place to look is the wires that run up inside the lever. The 4speed is completely mechanical, & I wouldn't think anything else could be related to your symptoms. Are relays clicking as the problem is happening? - indicating an electrical issue?
Thanks for responding! Moving the 4 sp does cause the machine to continue moving forward and reverse. As soon as I turn it loose machine will travel a couple of feet and then go out of gear for a couple of seconds and then right back in gear. It happens in both directions . I didn't know if there was anything electrical inside transmission at shifter or not.My 1st thoughts were the clutch cut-off button located on the shifter was malfunctioning .I can start machine rolling and push the clutch cut-off button and machine will stop. So. after that I just assumed it was working properly. 1 screw is locked up by rust ,I guess I will drill it out.
Maybe before taking it apart spray some WD40 into the button and work it. Might be dirty connections in the button. On mine I found a lot of dirty connections in the fuse/relay panel but yours seems related to the shift handle. Broken wire in the wire harness for the handle??
Will do!! I started out there until I ran into the screw that wouldn't come out. I had noticed that the set screw that holds handle in place was loose allowing handle to move around more than usual.I think it might have a naked place shorting out on metal shifter. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks Again
hey ! Just wanted to update everyone. Thanks to alderman and highway ghost my problem is solved. I sprayed wd 40 best as I could on the clutch cut off button . Tightened down the hex head on handle and all is well. Thanks so much! I was thinking transmission problems. I love Case backhoes!!!