Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580L oil

Maybeso ยท 2020-04-29 23:22

Im new here so bear with me, please. I just up graded to a 97, 580L, so theres a few things that are a little foreighn to me. I understand that hytran ultra is the oil for the transmisson and it says it very good oil also for wet brakes although there are no brakes in the tranny and it calls for trans axle oil for the rear end where the brakes are, is this correct? I want to make certain, for I live in southeast AK in a remote area, and this oil will have to be barged up from seattle, so its going to be expensive. I dont suppose that chevron makes a compatible oil? There the only oil distributor in this neck of the woods, otherwise it will be case oil, the oil needs to be changed cause it looks a little used and there wasnt any maintenence records with the machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Replies9
  1. #1highwayghost2020-04-30 01:49

    Welcome, See the attachment for some oil specs. Check your manual for the correct oil. Ask your local dealer if theirs meets your criteria. There is an additive for the rear end. See the link. Oil is expensive, but cheap compared to the parts it's protecting. Choose wisely. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNH-TUTELA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

  2. #2alrman2020-04-30 02:23

    Welcome to HEF @Maybeso A 580L will need to use Hy-Trans Ultra in the rear axle using CNH "Axle Oil Additive" (part #402982A2) - @highwayghost 's ebay link The Manual specifies Hy-Trans also for the hubs - however, I recommend SAE 90 or 85/140 (depending on climate) - please yourself on that one. The Transmission if it is a Carraro Shuttleshift (4sp manual shift) will also use Hy-Trans Ultra. The Clark Powershift transmission will use ATF Dexron 3 oil.

  3. #3Willie B2020-04-30 07:22

    My 580K gets HyTran in hydraulic, and shuttle. The rear gets Case Transaxle fluid. It is heavier than hy tran. The brake actuators near the window get TCH that Case recommended in operator's manual. If I'm not mistaken they don't sell TCH any more. The actual brake friction material is floating in soup. Mine using generic fluid I could buy locally meeting the specifications made a horrible grinding gear sound on hard braking.

  4. #4Maybeso2020-04-30 11:23
  5. #5Maybeso2020-04-30 11:28

    This is where Im confused. My operators manual calls for case hytran plus for the transmisson and MS 1317 for the rear end, front end and all the planetarys, which to my understanding is called transaxle fluid. Now do these oils not have the additives in them or do they need extra? Thank you

  6. #6alrman2020-04-30 16:42

    Here are the recommended oils for the 580L taken from the Case service training manual - They all used Hy-Trans in the rear axle combined with one bottle of the axle oil additive - well that's what I've used in 580L/SL since they were sold brand new...... The front axle doesn't have wet brakes fitted to them - hence the need for using Hy-Trans in the rear axle. If you don't use the additive - the brakes WILL squark VERY LOUDLY.... The guys that write some of these manuals need to have their @sses kicked......

  7. #7Willie B2020-04-30 20:49

    Yes, & if you are in a cold climate, 10W30 diesel engine oil. 15W40 is too stiff for cold weather

  8. #8Willie B2020-04-30 20:57

    I believe the gear oil is stronger film strength. It likely has additives as needed. Hy Tran I first encountered at the International Harvester dealer in the late 1960s it has agents to control water contamination, corrosion inhibitors, friction modifiers for wet brakes. detergents to control other contaminates. It has changed for the better over many years. Now it is a Case product.

  9. #9Maybeso2020-04-30 22:09

    Thank you to every body