Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580m

coopers ยท 2005-10-11 01:03

Any of you guys gotten the chance to run the new 580M's? They looks soooooooooo nice! I'd like to try one out, we haven't bought any yet for our rental fleet. Let me know what u guys think, I'm curious. Later Blake WA

Replies31
  1. #1Tigerotor77W2005-10-11 21:08

    The M-series (and series II) have been out for a while... unless Case did something to change them again without posting it on their website?

  2. #2Steve Frazier2005-10-12 10:23

    Bobcat, did you recently get a corporate letter of some type? :eek2

  3. #3CascadeScaper2005-10-12 16:32

    The M-series has been out for some time now, I agree they are very nice. Definately a force to be reckoned with in backhoes, that's for sure.

  4. #4badranman2005-10-12 18:57

    I just read in Compact Equipment that the U.S.Army awarded Case a $50 million dollar contract to supply them with 500 Type III (HMEE) backhoes over the next 4 years. They also gave them a $36 million dollar contract for re-manufacture of 500 loaders and 500 forklifts.

  5. #5Tigerotor77W2005-10-12 19:24

    Haha, no, I saw a similar disclaimer as someone else's signature on a computer forum and decided I should adapt it, what with my username being "BobcatS250" and all. I haven't done anything wrong... yet. *crosses fingers* I'll try to keep it that way. But I still think Cat wins on features on BHLs. :bouncegrin:

  6. #6Cat4202005-10-12 20:01

    I really don't think you can go wrong with most newer backhoes. Cat, Case, and Deere are almost equal if you ask me. Volvo should be a sweet machine, considering they designed it using tons of operator input. New Holland, Terex, and Komatsu seem to be geared towards cost-minded buyers, but still offer tons of features. I haven't done much research on Jcb, but they look to be a solid machine as well. Competition has been a very good thing.

  7. #7coopers2005-10-13 00:37

    Yeah, bobcat I say new because they're "new" to me, we carry 580SL's and I see the 580M's and I think it's time for an upgrade. Don't know why really...lol :eek2 But I just think they look nicer, I've always liked it when case uses the color orange they have now on the M's...much brighter and nicer looking than the ones most of the S models are painted.... Blake WA

  8. #8Tigerotor77W2005-10-13 20:48

    Agreed on the looks, cooper... absolutely. :nods:

  9. #9machnegative2006-04-03 14:36

    I have rented a 580 super M a couple of times when my 580 super K was in the shop. The M has a lot more power than my K. It also seems like a hot rod when roading. My K takes a while to get up to road speed, while the M got up to speed so fast I almost couldn't shift fast enough. Overall I like the new one better, I just can't afford one.

  10. #10tuney4432006-04-06 22:53

    I don't know about these new M's,but I have always found Case hoes tobe nothing more than overly fast "septic system" machines.If you ever needed some real power,it was never there.If you ever watch an operator with a Case pulling a big stump out,it always takes forever compared to a Deere or a Cat.My .02

  11. #11machnegative2006-04-07 19:04

    "overly fast septic machines" Guess that's why I like the Case hoes. 90% of my work is installing/ reparing septic systems. It all gets down to what eqipment is the best for your particular application.

  12. #12cat3202006-04-07 19:16

    I think case makes the best all around machine in my opinion.very manuverable and i have never had a problem digging or lifting anything that it was supose to.

  13. #13biggixxerjim2007-01-12 18:42

    My opinion?? The 580 M sucks. Ive ran a few, and one of them had 1600 hours on it; broken A/C, window latches didnt work anymore, warning light in the cab would go on for no reason, trans was a pain to shift between gears. Another had 100 hours on it; again, broken A/C, front tires are too small, machine was tippy, little underpowered, very small fuel tank, trans again didnt want to shift, etc. The 580L I believe was a much better machine. All the new Case dozers suck too. A co. I worked for rented both a 650 and an 850K, and the 850 had electrical problems, and the fuel tank leaked. I was not impressed, to say the least. I think JD makes the best backhoe now, hand down. Awesome power, fast, smooth and balanced. Better than the Cat, the Case, I'm not a fan of Volvo, JCB's are horendous, New Hollands ARE CRAP! Don't even get me started on these!

  14. #14DigDug2007-01-12 18:56

    I have a M and had a L before. The M is not as good in my opinion. The M only has one door . The M has the light & other switches all over the cab its a pain in the ass. The L had almost all the switches on the console beside the key switch. The M does have improved window latches that can be cracked open a little , which helps in the winter plowing. The L you either had the windows open all the way or closed. Over all I like the M , its not much different than the L . But the switches pisses me off the most. doug

  15. #15mflah872007-01-12 18:58

    Case is the best backhoe hands down. I had a 580 L go 9600 hours before I parked it! no major work bushings, the bucket, hoses nothing major.

  16. #16farm_boy2007-01-12 19:33

    I will give Case credit that they do have a very nice cab. When you get in a brand new Case M series it even smells like a new car. That is about where the "good" ends IMO. The Case won't pick what the Deere, Cat or NH will. If you try to lift the same thing that these others will easily lift with the stick, the boom will go over relief and start falling back down!! The fact that the backhoe has to over center in order to get weight to the front end in order to balance the machine is "after-thought" engineering. Might as well purchase a New Holland since they have the same powertrain and hydraulic system and it is less money. The NH isn't as nice on the inside, but it is a MUCH better performing hoe. The best hoe out there IMO is the Deere. The G's are rock solid. :thumbsup The new Cat's are nice too, but they have had lots of issues :Banghead with their new E-series.

  17. #17Tigerotor77W2007-01-12 20:00

    Huge bummer! I was hoping the E-series would re-energize the people, but it's bringing far too many headaches.

  18. #18Cat4202007-01-12 20:03

    What a shame. Our D series 420 has been rock solid. They probably tried to change too much and messed it up.

  19. #19DR RPM2007-01-12 20:30

    The NH has an Iveco diesel and the Case has a Cummins / Identical????????

  20. #20coopers2007-01-12 21:02

    Huh, well that's all very interesting. I remember driving C and B models (awhile ago, my boss was an old timer) and they had the same lifting problem with the hoe, it pissed me off when I was trying to lift something and the damn thing couldn't do it, but I still like case. :yup I do also like Deere, they do make a great machine. Blake WA

  21. #21farm_boy2007-01-12 21:03

    RPM....the Iveco/NH/Cummins/CNH/Case/CDC/etc/etc engine in these backhoes is all the same engine. This engine was developed as a joint venture to between Cummins, Iveco, and CNH. The NH backhoe is built in Italy and its engine is made at an Iveco plant in Europe, but in this machine it is branded as a New Holland. The Case machine is built in Burlington IA and its engine comes from the CDC plant in Rocky Mount NC and is branded as a Case engine. Consolidated Diesel Company (CDC) is a joint venture between Cummins and Case. These are the engines that Case has been using for the last 15 or so years. Joint venture this, partnership that.....one thing is for sure....its all confusing!! coop....BTW....I like your avatar. Is that a 244J or 304J?? Is that your machine?

  22. #22coopers2007-01-13 04:45

    farmboy, nope that is not my machine. I just think it's a cool lookin' baby loader! haha, and yes, it's a 244J. Can't beat Deere loaders. I drive a vehicle that says police on it! Just as cool. :yup

  23. #23coopers2007-01-16 03:01

    Speaking of case backhoes, 50 years in the making this coming month. This black backhoe is going to be showed off next month with custom tinting etc.

  24. #24Gmads2007-01-25 22:46

    I've always bought Case backhoes even though I've thought other machines were smoother or stronger. Since we use them more as "support" equipment than "production" equipment, I give more weight to reliability and low-cost of ownership. Knock on wood - I almost never have problems with these machines. Ironically, I don't feel that way about any of Case's other product lines.

  25. #25KSSS2007-01-27 00:48

    Gmads, Is your feeling about CASE's other products do to poor experiences or a perception that they are not of the same quality as others? I just curious if it geographical thing, preference or you tried other CASE products and did not like them. CASE has made major inroads in excavators and wheel loaders here and have the number 2 marketshare of motor graders believe it or not (in this area). The backhoes have always done well. I think many are of the same opinion as you are concerning the backhoes. 5 years ago you saw very few CASE excavators here. The wheel loaders were more plentyful but not the excavators. The CX series has done very well, they have now started shipping the B series to the CX I am told, have yet to see one.

  26. #26Gmads2007-01-27 18:53

    My feelings about their other lines are based on past experience. We had an old Poclain based 170 and an old Case 880, neither of which were very good. Now I've never owned a Case loader but we did demo a 621C XT a couple/few years back and at the time I remember not being impressed by it. It didn't help that the top "retaining" bar on the ACS fork attachment broke off while we were demo-ing the machine. So I am definately turned off by the ACS style couplers that are used on their tool-carriers and that's all I buy (tool-carriers). Now I try to keep an open mind about things, and I realize that their newer lines of excavators may be greatly improved. So I wouldn't rule out a Case excavator, but it would have to be a deal that's too good to pass up for me to try one again.

  27. #27CM19952007-01-28 10:52

    Just returned home from the World Of Concrete in 'Vegas where Case had this backhoe (or one like it) on display. The most interesting thing about this backhoe was that on the special window tinting showed a Case concept vehicle/backhoe/excavator. It looked like it was a real machine that had actually been built. The Cab rotated and the rear boom was hooked to the base of the cab like a mini-hoe. Four equal size tires and a regular loader bucket up front. It looked like the backhoe/cab could turn around and load into the front loader bucket. The Case rep. there said not many people had noticed the machine's picture in the tinting. Also said that Case has put a lot of R&D into machines such as this type. Interesting..... Also saw a Cat 450E which I guess takes the place of the 446B. Big and expensive machine, only ones that can afford is the gov't since they are spending our money.:spaz For folks that actually have to make a living by a small excavator.

  28. #28Tigerotor77W2007-01-28 14:29

    They have to say that. No company would say that "We have no serious R&D going on." You're serious about this? Did you get a timeframe till production? That machine... I'll leave it at that. I'll save details for when it actually comes out. (And the 450E replaces the 446D, which replaced the 446B.)

  29. #29CM19952007-01-28 14:38

    What I meant about the Case was that the machine looked like it was a lot farther along than a picture. The rep let on that this machine was more than a pipe dream. At least that is what I understood. The 450E was at the show. I sat in the seat. It had an enclosed cab, 4 in 1 bucket with flop over forks, extendahoe and a hydraulic thumb. As far as production schedule I don't know. Cat had a very small exhibit compared to the others and not many reps to talk to. I wasn't really interested in the machine, my 420DIT is paid for and works just fine. Don't need a bigger RTB.

  30. #30coopers2007-01-28 15:48
  31. #31CM19952007-01-28 15:56