Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580M Boom and Dipper Operation

Bote · 2024-04-19 12:59

I’ve only operated two backhoes in my life, and old Ford and my Case 580M. On neither of these could you raise the boom and retract the dipper at the same time like you can on an excavator. If you’re raising the boom and try to retract the dipper the boom stops. I’m told newer Case machines allow simultaneous operation of the boom, dipper and bucket. The boom controls on the hydraulic diagrams for the 580M and 580SM are different but I’m not smart enough to interpret. Any experience with this? I'm almost embarrassed I don't know this.

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632024-04-19 13:24

    It’s all about control……the control valve that is.

  2. #2Bote2024-04-19 14:36

    So you think something is wrong with the boom control valve?

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-04-19 14:45

    You can't have 1 function at max. speed and have another function also work at max. speed. You have to feather the control valves to get the best efficiency. You should be able to have multiple functions at once though.

  4. #4Bote2024-04-19 15:00

    Boom won't work with anything else. I've been ignorantly running it like this for several years. A neighbor bud with a 580SM pointed it out. His machine was on a job so he borrowed mine to bury a cow and pointed it out.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-04-19 15:04

    I recall there were certain Case models with an optional type valve that gave priority to certain functions, maybe boom lift but a lot of people didn't like it. Could try searching the archives. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what it did or what it was called but some people hated it!

  6. #6Billrog2024-04-19 15:29

    I've been operating the boom & dipper at the same time on all the case backhoes I've owned. How else to you level the bottom of a trench or hole.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-04-19 22:12

    Do a search for optional valve. It might be the problem.

  8. #8Bote2024-04-20 12:45

    Real operators would be horrified at my excavating lol. I bought the 580M for digging a new creek channel ¼ mile long on my farm. The backhoe took care of the trees and roots while the finish work was done with a tracked loader and dozer. I think the control issue has developed slowly over a period of years. I run the backhoe without really thinking about what I’m doing and guess I adapted to the changes in the machine without realizing it until my friend borrowed it. I looked at old videos my wife took of me playing with the machine and the boom and dipper used to work together. I borrowed an excavator for a few days last month and I operated it so well I was ready to park the backhoe. A bud that services fork trucks is going to pull the three-position valve for the boom next week and check it out. I've noticed that it's harder to get the boom up to lock lately. Hopefully I’ll owe the 580M an apology.

  9. #9Legdoc2024-04-22 22:15

    I have a 580M series 1. If I get to the ranch where the machine is at early enough the next couple of days I will try it on my machine and report back. Are your controls wobble sticks?

  10. #10Bote2024-09-10 23:09

    The service on the three-way valves made a huge difference. I put 60 hours on it over the last 5 weeks and can't believe how much faster it works. It took my bud a long time to get to it but it was worth the wait. He wouldn't take any money. I wish I could have watched. All I know is he "cleaned everything up and replaced some seals". I'm excavating 60 yards of clay in a couple weeks to level the base for a 40x60 barn. A pro with a 25-ton excavator will finish my work (hopefully this year) and turn it into a pond. Legdoc my 580M is a three-stick machine. It's about to turn over 8000 hours. I'm thinking about getting a 580 super M with lower hours.