Figured I would post a video of this, explains a lot better... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-lCiM5Hcm0&feature=youtu.be My machine was losing power, missing, but I really noticed a huge power reduction while roading. I did smell raw diesel, but did not put it together. I thought at first that my turbo was not working, but one of my brothers who experienced the same thing mentioned an injector problem. Upon running the engine with the hood up, I found what you saw in the video. Nobody in town can seem to bend a new one for me, and both Case and Cummins have a couple day lead time to bring it in, so I ordered a new fuel line through Case. A few dollars more, but the dealership has treated me well. Looks straight forward enough to change, apart from a couple awkward spots that the line is routed through. Anyone have tips, tricks, words of wisdom or horror stories for this type of repair?
That'll make you lose power! Should be straight forward matter of undoing the clamps & replacing the line. Can't say for sure, you may need to remove #3 line to get #4 out. Be sure to reinstall all the support brackets. Leave the injector ends loose at start up when done to bleed air out & then tighten. Sometimes the metal brackets that hold the support brackets are cracked - thats often why the injector lines break - if they are broken, replace them also.
Yep, was fixin to say check the support brackets for cracks, alrman beat me to it. One thing I do when tightening injection lines at pump and at injectors is to very lightly bump the lines with a small ball peen as I'm tightening nuts. This helps the ball on end of injection lines seat properly in socket on injection pump and injectors.
Well, figured out why the fuel line failed in the first place. If you look at the very bottom left of the picture, you can just kinda make out the nut that holds the fuel pump on has backed off and is ready to fall off. Another nut has already fallen off. I expect this put a lot more flexing on the lines. I know the fuel shut-off solenoid was replaced just before I bought the machine, would the pump have to be removed to replace the solenoid?
Should not have to remove pump to replace solonoid. It is a tight fit & it does look like it can't be done, they may have loosened it off a bit to rotate the pump to make it happen ...:beatsme Does it look like it's been rotated - paint marks at mount? - may need to check timing - if it starts OK probably not need to worry about it.......
Never had to loosen one to change the solenoid, remove the feed line from the block fitting that oils the turbo and it will drop out the bottom. Replacement needs different bolts to hold it on. Mel
I think you meant to say " remove the oil feed line to the injector pump"
You are so right alr, sorry , I'll try to do better.