Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580M Stalling when warmed up and operating fine

oaklawncem ยท 2014-02-18 10:22

No Block heater, use starting fluid on colder days 10 F, Coldest day -4 F used propane heater to heat up under engine due to no start. While operating you could excavate hole and be driving along to next location and the engine cuts out. Slowly sputters a bit then shuts down. Can start right up seconds later. Approaching 500 hours since last oil change. Changed fuel filter and added a quart of Power Services 911. Still happens daily. Any ideas?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2014-02-18 12:08

    Classic fuel starvation. You're on the right track with the filter and 911. Did it start doing this with the cold, and did the 911 improve the condition at all? You could work your way through the fuel system taking apart every joint and blowing out with compressed air to see what crud you find. It might be in the tank as well. If you have a lever operated priming pump I can re-post how to use that to tell if the blockage is upstream or downsteam of the pump.

  2. #2oaklawncem2014-02-18 13:59

    That's what I thought, but its nothing but snow here and I don't have a garage so was waiting for at least a nice day in the 30's. I thought it had improved a bit with the 911 but then the problem continued. I was going to try again with 911 as someone suggested emptying the fuel filter and filling the filter up with 911 and starting again. Also the tank issue just needs some weather cooperation. I have 2005 580 M but I don't know if it is lever operated priming pump or not. I would appreciate any instruction though. Thanks for your input. Another operator I know found a fungus or something in his fuel tank and was having similar problems. He cleaned out all the lines and the fuel tank and solved the problem.

  3. #3Delmer2014-02-18 17:31

    Pretty hard to diagnose when it starts back up immediately. And once a day. Is there any rhyme or reason to when it dies? like driving it with a load? (uphill or high speed) Is it usually when it's driving? Is the tank kept full?

  4. #4oaklawncem2014-02-18 20:33

    Sorry, starts back up perhaps a minute after stall. Happens several times per day. I will have to see how it goes tomorrow or thursday according to when we dig again. No load or hills just flat ground and it stalls out. Has not stalled out during excavating with boom but has stalled carrying a load of dirt in the front bucket. I'll take notes during the next use. Thanks for your input. The level of fuel in the tank has not appeared to have an influence. Has happened with 1/4, 1/2 and full tanks.

  5. #5Delmer2014-02-18 20:50

    So do you have to crank it a few times, or just wait a minute and it will fire right up? See if you can find a lever operated priming pump, that can be used to figure out the problem a little better if there is one.