Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dipper bushings on Case 580C

fishfighter ยท 2014-02-18 06:24

Yesterday, I blew another hose. One leading to the dipper cylinder. So, I will just replace both, rebuild the cylinder too. When I removed the lower pin, I saw the lower cylinder bushing was busted in half. I knew there was a lot of slack, so I want to fix it. After looking at Case's on line parts, they are calling for two lower and two upper bushing, part number, D33047 for the bottom. Problem is that the bushing that came out was just a single bushing, not two. I did mic the pin that go's there which was 1.75", but forgot to do the cylinder ID, which I will do today. Any Idea as to why case is calling for two, but mine only has one? My hoe is a 1979 if that helps.

Replies13
  1. #1owmamech2014-02-18 10:47

    More than likely someone changed it out with a single bushing. I would check the size and condition of the boar, it could be wore to the point it wouldn't hold the correct bushings and they found a single one that would fit. The boar being bad is what usually causes the bushing to break. I hope that makes sense.

  2. #2digger242j2014-02-18 14:51

    They're only half as wide as the hole, I presume to allow the grease to get between them.

  3. #3fishfighter2014-02-18 19:00

    This could be the problem. I will check that. There is a seller on ebay that said he does have the single bushing. IDK about that. I will give Case a call to see if it is a single or is there two. I did change out the two hoses that feed that cylinder and you would guess it that I have them backwards. LOL I will swap them Thursday. I have a full day tomorrow at the hospital.

  4. #4fishfighter2014-02-18 19:02

    There is only half of a bushing that is in place. A lot of slack there. Well, a lot of slack everywhere.

  5. #5digger242j2014-02-18 19:50

    I take it you mean there's 180 degrees of bushing, out of a full circle. My recollection (it's been a long time since I sold my 580C), is that for the, say, 2" width of the cylinder end, they use a pair of 1" wide bushings.

  6. #6fishfighter2014-02-19 05:51

    Yes, only 180 degrees left. The bushing is as wide as the tube end and is one piece.

  7. #7Tinkerer2014-02-19 06:07

    If the bushing is loose in the cylinder eye that is most likely why there is a one piece one in there now. That would be OK if the pin it is drilled and and tapped for a grease zerk. I am guessing that the cylinder eye is drilled and has a grease zerk in it. Like Digger said the two piece bushings allow grease in the resulting groove that would be in the middle of the bore. The only permanent fix for those bushings being loose is to have the eye cut off and replaced.

  8. #8fishfighter2014-02-19 06:41

    The half of bushing in there does have holes in the center for grease to pass. That is what is throwing me off and also having just one bushing in there when Case is showing two . If the "eye" is out of round, that is going to cost me big time taking it to a shop to reshaped the eye bore and have a bushing made for it. The pin looked good, even in the center. No slack in the bushings on both ends. So just maybe It all will be ok. I will not know till tomorrow when I can check everything.

  9. #9fishfighter2014-02-19 20:01

    I did mic the hole. It is less then 10th out of round. The pin is good. So tomorrow, I will run to a Case dealer to pick up a bushing or two. I also need a rebuilding cylinder kit. No sense having it down and not replace that.

  10. #10Tinkerer2014-02-19 23:23

    Be sure to look for a set screw that may be locking the gland to the barrel. Case used them quite often on hydraulic cylinders.

  11. #11fishfighter2014-02-20 04:01

    I have it off and the cylinder apart. No set screw. It has been rebuilt before. Caught hell getting the rod out once off. I unscrewed the gland seal before removing the cylinder from the hoe. I'm going to pull the other too even though it is not wet for a rebuild. I do have one swing cylinder that is wet that I will rebuild too and get a kit for both of them. From there, I will be changing out pins and bushing to try to get some of the slack out of the hoe. Money is the key there and the wife is not a happy camper. She is telling me that my hoe is as bad as one of my boats. LOL

  12. #12Tinkerer2014-02-20 07:28

    I found out a long time ago, it is always best to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

  13. #13fishfighter2014-02-21 04:45

    For sure. After being married to her after 34 years, some things just don't fly. LOL Got my hoe back in operation only to find a few more leaks. Both swing cylinders need rebuild and yes, I did pick up a kit for one, but will have to get another. Also, I am seeing some good leaks from the control valves for the hoe. The PO only used the front loader most of the time and now that I been using the hoe end, more and more leaks are showing up. I never messed with control valves, so more research will have to be done before I tackle that problem.