Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580M transmission

GRADYK ยท 2012-11-24 08:43

i have a 2004 580m case backhoe. having problems with the transmission . thats what i figure. i can warm it up for 20 min then start moving around and it seems the transmission is slipping or hardly ant movement when backing up. if i drive it for 2 to 3 miles it seems to be okay in all gears. when it cools down for an hour it goes back to hardley any movement. any ideas. i am going to start with filter, oil ,and cleaning the screen,

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2012-11-24 17:18

    Welcome to HEF GRADYK! Love to help, But we need to know if it is powershift or shuttleshift + how many hours are showing on it?

  2. #2GRADYK2012-11-24 19:21

    It is a shuttle shift not a power shift it has a carraro tlb1 transmission in it about 4525 hours on it,4 speed forward 4 speed reverse. Sorry for the delay went to a nephews hockey game. Any other info u need

  3. #3alrman2012-11-24 21:00

    The Carraro shuttles are usually very reliable. It probably will be good to do the oil & filter/screen espeacially if it has not been done in a while. The problem you have could be a control valve problem that I discuss here - This problem sometimes stops the machine from driving or makes it slip a little as the modulator controls the pressure. I have seen the circlip problem affect machines both ways. I have also seen the oil go very "honey" like if not been changed for a long time, with alot of sludge like material in it that seemed to cause some drive problems. New oil & filter with a screen clean helps in this situation, but whether yours is that bad ?? :beatsme Charge pumps can also be a problem - but they usually get worse when hot...... pressure & flow testing would confirm the problem. Hope this helps.

  4. #4GRADYK2012-11-24 21:16

    Thanks alrman I am going to drain and clean tommorow to start do u know where I could download a carraro service manual for a manual shift TLB1

  5. #5GRADYK2012-11-24 21:40

    Alrman I just read that tread u had with codmech and one thing caught my ear was about the diff lock I just remembered my diff lock is not working either . He had metioned a broken wire also. Some good info in that tread. Thanks again I will drop a line tommorow when I get done thanks