Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580N with power back feed issue.

Kevin LS ยท 2025-07-25 18:26

I'm fighting with a 2017 580N-EP that is somehow back feeding power to the display when the key is off. The display unit backlighting and hour meter will power on about 5 seconds after the key is shut off and then it will intermittently shut off and repower itself about every 10 seconds. I have tried pulling power relays one at a time but none see to affect this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-07-25 18:42

    I ran into something like that. Try pulling neg battery terminal then check for voltage between positive and frame I've seen batteries bleed power thru the case

  2. #2Coaldust2025-07-25 18:43

    Sometimes, the alternator can do that. You can try removing the B+ wire from the alternator and see what happens.

  3. #3Kevin LS2025-07-25 19:04

    I did disconnect to see if a vampiric load was present. But as of yet I have been unable to identify where it is originating. Only that it is powering the instrument cluster display.

  4. #4Kevin LS2025-07-25 19:05

    I will disconnect the alternator and see if it resolves the issue.

  5. #5Tinkerer2025-07-25 22:20

    Are there any codes when you look in the display ?

  6. #6Kevin LS2025-07-26 12:01

    No current codes.

  7. #7Kevin LS2025-07-29 17:51

    OK, Problem solved. Through trial and error, found that the menu on select button had an internal short. This is the button between the Parking Brake button and the Menu Scroll button. Because of the internal short it was causing the display to enter the key off hour check mode which allows a user the ability to check the hours without having a key. Thank you guys for the suggestions.