My wife gave me a block heater for Christmas, and while I was installing it I noticed that the alternator was not attached at the bottom. On further inspection the bolt that threads into the water outlet housing is broken off. There is no bolt or bracket attached to the bottom hole of the alternator but it looks like there should be a bracket that goes between the alt and the coolant outlet to hold the alt. I took the alt off and there is a small block of wood wedged between the alt and the engine.... seems more like local engineering than case. I'm hoping somebody here can tell me what the right pieces are to get the alt properly attached. Thanks, Jimr
Case has online parts guides, I would seriously get on those and locate your machine then dial into the charging system layout. If there is something broken off maybe a mount can be fashioned that will alleviate the breakage point.
If you have a separate spring loaded belt tensioner then you should probably have something like this. (pic in post 13) http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...500-4BT-amp-NV5600-w-Electrical-Concentration If there is no separate tensioner (besides the wood) then there must have been a slot adjuster. Either way, it's time to decide whether you drain the coolant and remove the coolant housing or try to remove the bolt in place. In either case welding a nut on top of the broken bolt is the way to go, let it cool completely and it will turn right out, or if it snaps off try it again. If you leave it attached, then use a DC welder if possible, put the ground clamp on the water outlet, disconnect the ground at the battery, maybe remove the alternator since it's so close. Of course you may ease it out with a tiny punch or screwdriver before the welding if you're lucky.
DMiller, thanks for the reply. I did look in my parts catalog but can't find the brackets:beatsme Delmer, it does have the spring tensioner and the bracket shown in pic #13 is what I need. The coolant was drained for block heater install so I've already gotten the broken bolt out (had to drill it and chase the threads) but its going to be really hard to get good measurements to fab a new one. At least it would for me. If I could find one of those I wouldn't think it would be too much $ to make worth fiddling around out in cold. Supposed to be a high of 4 tomorrow guess I'll get to see if the block heater works.
Found the part #, paging through the engine section, its with the thermostat and housing. Thanks again for your help guys. Jimr