Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SE Control Valve Leaks

JedCase580SE · 2020-06-02 18:44

My backhoe was used / abused very hard by the original owner for years. I don't think they knew what a grease gun was! It got sold about 10 years ago and was used very little. I bought it several months ago and with everyone help on here I am getting it back in shape. My latest problem that I am going to tackle is that 2 of the control valve spools on the backhoe controls are leaking. Can these be re-o ringed in place or do I have to remove the Control Valve? I am hoping I don't have to remove it and all of the hydraulic lines. Is it likely that I can just change the o-rings at the top of the spools and put it back together and fix the leaks or will other parts required? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-06-03 22:49

    You can replace the O-rings without removing the entire valve. Remove the spring cap on the bottom, be sure and move the swing cylinders so the spool will come down, of course remove the clevis pins for linkage. There is one o-ring in the top in a groove and the one on the bottom will stay with the spool. You may need to remove the control tower to get to the valve.

  2. #2JedCase580SE2020-06-04 10:40

    Excellent!! That’s what I needed to know! I will get the prints coming. I have a lot of cleaning to do before I pull it apart. Thanks

  3. #3JedCase580SE2020-06-18 23:48

    All the leaks are gone for the time being!!! I had 2 of the spools that the o-rings were shot. Changed them out and now all good. I have redone the swing cylinders, the steering cylinders and the boom cylinders. Hopefully no more leaks for a little while but I see a bunch of hoses that won't last much longer. Thanks for the help!

  4. #4doghead2020-06-19 06:49

    Did you remove the control tower?

  5. #5JedCase580SE2020-06-19 08:22

    Nope, I was able to just remove the cover and get in there carefully and remove the linkage. I spent a lot of time cleaning everything before I disassembled it and I put a couple of really bright lights near so I could see what I was doing. I used a couple of o-ring picks to get the old ones out and my little finger to put the new ones in.

  6. #6JedCase580SE2020-07-08 23:57

    Everything has been working really well but now when I am using the front end loader the backhoe is drifting to the left. I can push the right swing pedal and it goes back for awhile. Does this mean that something is probably happening internally in the control valve?

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-07-09 06:36

    It’s possible I’d check the relief valve and the cylinder for bypass.