Just drained oil today in my 580L, the rear end and transmisson. The rear end oil was pretty dirty, my question is can you flush the rear end with a gallon or two of diesel and drain it before filling with new oil, or would that mess with the brakes? Is there a better way to flush the rear end or not at all? Does the front end and planetary oil also need to have an additive in it like the rear end? Thank you for any advice
I wouldn't bother. The dirty color is probably from the brakes more than anything, doesn't bother much. let it drain as long as you want and refill it with the proper oil. And I don't mind flushing a component with a pressure washer, engine, transmission, whatever. As far as I know, the additive is to stop the brakes from squawking, it's not needed in the planetary and front end.
Thank you sir, kinda what I was thinkin, just wanted to hear from another soul
The advice I have been given in the past is to fill the rear end with regular hydraulic oil.. like ISO 46. Hydraulic oil is a good cleaner. Then raise the wheels off the ground and put it in forward and reverse, working the brakes as well. Then drain and refill with the recommended fluid.. I think I would only do this if it was extremely dirty though.
Thank you