Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SE Parking Brake Leak

bowen ยท 2011-11-14 22:20

I bought new parking brake pads for my 580SE but I see lots of oil and wonder if I need to fix this before putting the pads on. Can anyone tell from this picture where the leak is coming from? It almost looks to be from where the drive shaft attaches to me. If so is this a big deal to fix? I am new to the site and have spent about $2000 in parts to fix this ~1986 machine. This will be my 1st photos to insert. I hope you can see them!.

Replies9
  1. #1bowen2011-11-17 06:44

    I do know I have a fuel leak from the shutoff valve under the tank. But this oil looks almost black.

  2. #2alrman2011-11-17 06:57

    There are seals behind the disc & of course at the driveshaft. I would do both. A speedy sleeve may be required on the driveshaft yoke. Both seals can easily be replaced by prying them out. Oil in the transaxle will need to be drained for the seal behind the disc.

  3. #3bowen2011-11-17 07:05

    So I do not have to remove the transaxle housing cover? I suppose the drive shaft would need to be disconnected, but maybe this would not be so bad. I do suspect the main leak is from the upper seal(drive shaft.) I just do not want to get into a major project with the housing/gears etc. I am working in a barn without water or electricity on a dirt floor. I will have to research the "speedy sleeve" you noted. Thanks

  4. #4alrman2011-11-17 07:15

    Yes, leave the front cover attatched. You will need to remove the driveshaft to be able to remove the brake disc. Here's a link re - speedy sleeve - http://www.kamandirect.com/resources/2010/skf_speedi_sleeve/downloads/skf_speedi_sleeve.pdf

  5. #5bowen2011-11-17 07:48

    View attachment 240_Transaxle Parts.pdf I suppose the bottom seal is item # 5 (A179056)

  6. #6bowen2011-11-17 07:52

    View attachment 246_Transaxle_Mainshaft.pdf The upper seal is a bit unclear. I suppose you are referring to item # 31 (A154253), but this drawing does not show the cover. The link to kaman direct did not work for me. It wants me to select a manufacturer or part number. Why do I need the speedy sleeve?

  7. #7bowen2011-11-17 07:56

    Wow. I will also need 20 quarts of FDL gear oil huh? 80W90 I think is what I have been buying.

  8. #8alrman2011-11-17 16:13

    Yes, that is correct. Yes # 31 is also correct. - On both the seals there will be a number that will identify it to any bearing / seal supplier. Some suppliers can even 'translate' the Case part #. Re the link - it works for me....:beatsme Just an educated guess about the speedy sleeve, it may or may not need one. If a groove from years of wear is present - the new seal wont last long. On the driveshaft seal, you can reposition it, so the seal will run on a better section of yoke - it may have been done before, with out removal & inspection you don't know. If you purchase the seals from a bearing supplier - they can supply a speedy sleeve from the info you give them. You need to be sure what brakes you have, the 580E with your brake configeration was built with both dry & wet brakes - & these need different oils. See this thread which covers how to tell -

  9. #9bowen2011-11-19 21:59

    I got both seals replaced today. Part numbers as mentioned above in this thread. Mine has dry brakes because my Transaxle S/N is 16274426. Made in 1985 This picture is what the transaxle looks like with the parking brake removed. (2WD) Both seals come out without unbolting anything except the drive shaft. Also we only lost maybe a cupful of gear oil. The upper seal is real easy to pop out. The lower seal on the parking brake spline is a booger to get out. All replaced with new brake pads and the thing work great. Thanks for all your help on this issue!