Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sk hydraulic pump spline’s

94SKgary · 2020-07-22 17:12

Hi guys I've got a question about my 94 580sk 4x4? What I'm wanting to know is does it sound right for the pump spline's to strip out approximately Evey 4to5 years or if I go by hours it would be every 1500 or so hours this will now be the third time for me on this machine sense I've owned it is this normal for this on the k&SK machines ? Just looking for info?

Replies12
  1. #1Willie B2020-07-22 17:57

    Don't know, mine is years older than yours. I've been watching the belt that drives the water pump 14 years. I've carried a replacement YEARS. So far, the belt is OK, not perfect. It looks like a big job to change.

  2. #2dixon7002020-07-22 19:38

    Rust has been mines biggest enemy. ‍♂️ I've also only put like 300hrs on mine. My biggest issue after my brakes is my hydraulic cooler got a heck of a leak above the one line.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-07-22 20:11

    Yes rust is a BI on those splines. Another possibility is an alignment problem with the pump and crankshaft. Was the front front motor mount ever replaced or removed from the engine ? Have you checked the four bolts that hold it to the engine for tightness ? There is a bushing on all four bolts that maintain the precision fit between the motor block and mount. They do the same as a dowl pin would. Hopefully they are in there. The big rubber bushings under the mount OK ? They have a way of wearing out and causing the motor to vibrate.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2020-07-22 22:42

    If your splines are going out that quick I'd check the front motor mount bushings, making sure the pump is not riding on the frame and putting extra pressure on drive coupler.

  5. #594SKgary2020-07-24 13:39

    I've never had the main pump mount off but I have replaced all the motor mounts and I did check on the rubber isolators under slip coupler the bolts to the crank and pump bolts are tight but yes it does get very Rusty

  6. #6melben2020-07-24 15:33

    Common practice at our shop was to use Molycote on the splines, as others have stated, you may have an alignment problem with the crankshaft centerline and the pump mount circle, we had a few of those on the old 580s in their day and Case had a special splined adapter that took a dial indicator and by turning the crank and watching the dial indicator you could see the runout, they also supplied a plate that matched the pump mount that we centered with the dial indicator, drilled and dowelled the new pump adapter in place and a longer adapter to keep the drive length correct.

  7. #794SKgary2020-07-24 20:22

    I was thinking the same thing as for a longer adapter the factory one only uses a 1/4 of the shaft spline's and I have noticed on line I have seen a few greasable adapters I don't know if that would be better or worse but I'm willing to try anything at this point I do know there's definitely some reason for it doing this.LOL

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-07-24 20:59

    I would think more of the spline length should be engaged. Any parts missing between the crankshaft pulley and the coupler ?

  9. #9Tones2020-07-24 21:21

    Adding grease is a great idea

  10. #1094SKgary2020-07-25 00:37

    Well here's what I've come across on the good ol inter web 3.9 4BT's are notorious for thrust bearing in play to the point that the thrust bearing where is thin enough it comes off and falls in the pan on finding this out I checked then play on my crank and it moves 1/4" back and forth witch makes sense to me anyway it would act like a saw ripping back and forth on the spines. I will keep you guys informed on this matter as I tear the pan off and find out more.

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-07-25 13:26

    Perhaps you have the service manual, Gary. If you don't I can find and post anything you need from it. Here is the end play spec,

  12. #1294SKgary2020-07-25 14:03

    Thanks you for that sir but I do have a service manual