Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to remove Right-side axle housing on John Deere 310D

Slimcam400ex · 2020-07-22 15:44

I had the retaining bolt break on the axle shaft. Axle and tire exited stage right while in operation. I read the one thread about another guys having to remove his. I do not have the same design as his though. Does a bottle jack need to be used with this design still to gain clearance for removal?

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632020-07-22 16:40

    Well, this is what I do on those but you will need a few things. Remove everything attached to the entire differential including the driveline. I have on my truck those same housing/mounting bolts except mine are 6-8 inches longer. I take one bolt out at a time and replace it with the longer version. Once you get to the last bolt on each side, support the differential housing with a floor jack and remove the last 2 bolts. When you release the floor jack, those longer bolts will guide the differential down to the point it is resting on the longer bolt ends. At that point, I remove the bolts on the side I need to remove. Normally the housing is low enough below the frame that it will come out straight once it is unbolted. Mind you, I have done this numerous times in the field on many different makes of machines with these type of axles. This is how I do it in the FIELD. Its not a bad job, just be careful and safe while your doing it.

  2. #2Slimcam400ex2020-07-22 16:55

    So your saying that the complete axle needs to be lowered to be able to remove the right axle tube? Im just making sure I understood you correctly

  3. #3Vetech632020-07-22 19:09

    That’s what I do.

  4. #4mg23612020-07-23 05:37

    Yep