Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SK Hydraulic Tank Replacement Ideas

Dan Preston ยท 2021-01-17 17:42

I have a 94 Case 580SK Turbo that utilizes the frame for the fuel and hydraulic tanks. HORRIBLE design!!!!! As they all do my frame/ tanks are cracking. I know I can move my battery and use the left step as a replacement fuel tank location. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to replace the hydraulic tank?

Replies3
  1. #1westerner2021-01-17 20:45

    I had the very issue. So did a customer of mine. On both, I pulled the engine and welded for a few hours. Both are gone now, but were dry when they did go.

  2. #2Dan Preston2021-01-18 09:04

    Thank you very much for your help. If all else fails that is what i will have to do. I am told that on the 580SK the weakest link is the fuel/hydraulic tanks repeatedly cracking & needing repair. It is my hope that someone out there has found a location to successfully install a hydraulic tank & avoid this constant repair. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

  3. #3westerner2021-01-18 11:02

    It was a surprise just how quick and easy the engine came out. I did both jobs in my shop, in the wintertime. I took the front bucket off to allow my cherry picker to get a straight shot at stuff. I originally tried to weld up the cracks with the engine in, but results were as you would expect when you try to weld something you can't see