Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sl Hydraulic hoses to backhoe bucket different diameter, does that matter?

Doug580l · 2018-08-03 20:17

I blew one of the lines going to the backhoe bucket cylinder. The one that needs to be replaced is a 3/4" line and the other one is 5/8". Should the new one that I get be 5/8" or should both of them be 3/4" or doesn't it matter. I assume they should be the same size, but am not sure. Thanks, Doug

Replies3
  1. #1fpgm042018-08-04 00:50

    From memory both bucket hoses were 5/8”. As you indicated you blew the 3/4” hose, consider that 3/4 hose would have a lower pressure rating and larger bend radius, comparing to a 5/8” hose of equal construction. With a 5/8” hose on one end of the cylinder, it is not clear what advantage a 3/4” hose would gain you. In any case, whatever hoses are installed need to be rated for the system pressure and application. Is there any history why a 3/4” hose was previously installed?

  2. #2Doug580l2018-08-04 08:20

    Thanks fpgm04, Makes sense about the 3/4" line pressure rating(Honestly, I never thought about it or paid attention to the fact that the different diameter hoses have different ratings). I think it's rated around 3100 psi, which is the same as the system on the machine. I'll have the replacement one be 5/8". I've only had the machine a few months. Even with my limited knowledge I've noticed several wrong hoses on it, among other things. They actually bent a couple of the metal lines to accommodate the wrong length hoses. Thanks, Doug

  3. #3Bls repair2018-08-04 20:45

    Can’t always get the right hose so put on what ever makes it work.