I posted a while back that I was having problems with my 310c,it had reverse but no forward.Delmer suggested that I search the forum for threads regarding shuttle problems/rebuilds.Good call,lots of useful info shared by so many.Well I removed and took apart the shuttle and I found that about 1/2 of the forward clutch discs were bad and the Belville spring was scored by the leading edge of the clutch drum gear.I also found about a 2" piece of what I believe was the packing for the piston located right behind the front plate because it was missing when I disassembled the shuttle (I think the rest of that packing ended up on my sump screen). Everything else,like the charge pump,bearings,gears etc. seem to be in excellent condition without any visible signs of wear.My question is should I replace just the offending parts(along with gaskets and seals) or should I spring for the complete rebuild kit containing the pump ,bearings etc..The price difference is as much as $400.00.Any suggestions or advice is welcomed
I had the same issue on a 210C. If you are tearing it open anyway, replace everything in there save the pump if it's still good. I bought a kit, but it didn't have the pump, just gaskets, discs, bearings, seals etc..
I was wrong about where the torn up packing came from.It actually came from the piston that is right in front of the forward clutch assembly.Thanks for the reply dirty,how has your rebuild been holding up?
I did the rebuild a few years ago now, and she's holding up well. The most trouble I had was removal of the shuttle. I didnt have a shop at the time so it was done on the gravel drive. I threw together a support for it attached to a shop jack. It worked well enough, with some swearing.
I did the same trick with a floor jack but had a cement floor to work on.How did the re-install go?Was it difficult lining up the drive tangs to the torque converter?
I decided to purchase the entire rebuild kit with pump.I nearly have it assembled but the new brass bushing I installed in the front cover needs to be bored/reamed.What is the correct tolerance between the input shaft and the bushing?I couldn't find that info. in my service manual.Thank you.
In the shop at Deere we would pull the converter and reverser at the same time. Using a support bracket to hold the engine with bottle jack. We used a transmission jack to pull the reverser/converter housings out all at once. Put the outriggers all the way down. Use log chain and chain outriggers so they will not spread out and let tractor down or use jack stands. I know the overage JOE does not have transmission jack but thats how we did it. I could have it out and tore down in about 4 hours that way.
br, can you tell me what the tolerance is supposed to be between the brass bushing in the front cover plate and the input shaft?The brass bushing that came with the rebuild kit is about 0.010" smaller than the shaft.I have a friend who is a motor head that says typically the bushing should be oversized by .002" but that can vary by application so I didn't want to move ahead until I found out what Deere specifies. Thanks
The bushing you are talking about is in the end of the pump support. I have the complete repair book in pdf and it gives no spec for that. I can send you a link to it if you want it. it is 153mb though.
Thank you for the generous offer but I also have the complete Deere service manual (came with the hoe) and couldn't find the info either.I guess i"ll keep looking.
I need to do the same to my 310D. Which rebuild kit did you go with? For some reason the rebuild kit for the case is about $100 less than the kit for the JD, even though everything I have read says the Borg Warner made shuttle is the same on the 580's and the JD's from that era.
I went with a kit on E-bay from reliableaftrmarketpartsinc they are out of mich. 1-888-672-7876.I called them directly and saved $20.00 off the E-Bay price.You may also want to look at Equipment Parts Source.They have better pricing,I didn't find their site till after I had purchased my kit.I paid $587.00 total. EPS has what looks like the same kit for $325.00 plus $179.00 for the charge pump for a total of $504.00.Can't speak to the quality of the parts contained in either kit.