Hi fellas, got all the parts to do the brakes on my backhoe. Questions for those who have done this before: 1. What is the best way to drop the rear axle? I guess a better question would be best way to reinstall? I am thinking of using a floor or transmission jack to lower support it while I take the mounting bolts out and then drop it down. 2. Can this job be done with the axle housing still under the backhoe utlizing the mounting bolts for the axle opposite of the one you are working on and a block on the diff? I suppose the difficulty is removing the outer axle housing as it is quite heavy and there is no way to support it from above. Anyways, would appreciate any insight anyone can potentially offer on this task. Thanks
I have to remove the rear axle on my machine. I have a Cat but here is how I plan to do it. Disconnect driveshaft, brake and other linkage to the rear axle Use the stabilizers to raise the rear wheels off the ground. Remove rear wheels. Lower the machine down until the axle is sitting on a dolly I will make. Remove axle mounting bolts. Use stabilizers to raise machine up. Put cribbing under the frame. Never trust hydraulic pressure to hold something up if you are working under or nearly under it. Pull the axle out one side. I need to make a Dolly with decent sized caster so I can roll the axle out the side. But I think my idea will work.
+1 on the cribbing comment
THanks Edge, was thinking similar. Only issue is finding the happy medium when you drop the axle to give yourself enough clearance to get the mounting bolts out (Cat might be different, mine are on the underside of axle)
Put a tire on dolly to make a it soft. mark the drive shaft to position it back the same way. when you pull axile apart keep the part that you gonna remove little higher. Brake discks are set on gear there are three of them but look carefully how many discks are in a outer side of gear and how many of them are on on an inner side/ Brakes are set on a gear from both sides of it. My CNH it was two on a inside and one on a outer side. change all the cross bearings or at list examine them. don t forget the seals. Don t use those O rings twice
Don t think that you may manage it alone, you d better do it with two other guys to give a hand. Mark all the hoses with piece of fabrik of different colours on both sides .
Thanks for the great pictures and insight Honcho. In the pic above, what is the cylinder on top of the housing? I don't recall my rear axle having that or maybe I just can't remember? Also how far do you typically go with your disassembly? Should I be changing the orings on the back side of the piston as well or is that something that you don't typically do when replacing the plates?
Cylinder is 4ws. stearing cylinder. Piston o rings change is regular thing every 5000 hr. togather with brakes and all other things needed to be replaced. when you . Before assambly push the piston as far inside as possoble so that brakes won t get stack. Man my poor English won t let me to explane how to release brake piston . I ve done it 2 years ago not much complex.
Thanks Honcho, I understand what you are saying. I have the repair manual and it gives a decent job of showing how to remove the park brake cam and then the piston.
For further reference, I happened across a detailed video that shows how this is done on you tube.
Did the job last weekend and it wasn't too bad. Brakes are awesome now. Only recommendation if I was doing this again would be to purchase new axle housing to frame mounting bolts as they were stretched/stuck/super tight etc. Would have made the job way faster to just cut them and use new bolts.