Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SM series3 Stuck in 4×4

NickyWalnuts · 2020-12-29 02:59

My machine has the transmission with the manual 4 speed stick shifter and the foreward/reverse shuttle on the steering column. For quite some time the 4x4 has been acting up. It stays stuck most of the time in 4x4. My buddy that runs it quite a bit for me can get it to unstick sometimes when he sways the machine left and right a little bit while traveling in reverse. When it does eventually unstick and disengage, there is a big clunk that you can both hear and feel at the exact moment it disengages. I spoke with one fellow at the local dealer’s service department that told me to try putting on a new 4x4 solenoid/valve. After installing the new solenoid/valve ($420) and test driving, the machine is still doing the same thing. I got it to clunk/disengage and then i turned the 4x4 rocker switch back on (It lights up green like its supposed to) and it re-engaged and then i switched it off again and its still stuck in 4x4 and I can’t get it to disengage. I haven’t tested with the voltmeter to ensure there is power at the harness that plugs into the solenoid coil just yet, but that’s my next step. I made the assumption that the wires were getting proper power since the switch lights up green when depressed. If my wiring and power checks out OK (which I have a feeling is going to be the case), what would be the next thing to check into? I’m not too familiar with the mechanicals of how the 4x4 engages/disengages, but by virtue of the fact that you can both hear and feel it clunk when it does finally disengage makes me think that something is binding up. Only 1700 hours on it and I’ve owned it since it was brand new.

Replies0

No replies yet.