Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580super e won’t start

rainman ยท 2016-08-05 19:56

I got home tonight and was going to do some reading on my main driveway was wash out last night and it wouldn't start I checked the fuel filters and they was full but I'm going to replace them tomorrow and it will run as long as u r spraying starter fluid in it it ran fine last weekend when I used no problem starting or running until tonight I was wondering if the fuel pump might have went out all at once it is a 89 580 super e any help is greatly appreciated

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-08-05 22:38

    More than likely it has an electric shut-off solenoid on the injection pump.. Do you shut it off w/ the key or cable..? MAKE SURE your getting power to it.. and it works.. Make sure its getting fuel.. loosen the pipe going into the injection pump and spin it over.. Next, loosen the lines at the injectors and spin it over.. see if it squirts.. 4B-3.9??? Cav/Delphi inj. pump??

  2. #2Billrog2016-08-05 23:17

    I ran mine for a while holding the shut off solenoid open with some hay wire until I could get a new one might help if that's your problem.

  3. #3rainman2016-08-06 16:15

    Thanks to y'all quick answer I got it running by putting a jumper wire from the battery to the cut off solenoid so I ran a new wire from the switch to the solenoid but it would not start so I had to put the jumper wire back on to get it running So my next question is does this mean that my switch is bad? Or is there another problem

  4. #4rainman2016-08-06 16:27

    Yes it is a Delphi pump and I use a toggle switch and push button to start and turn off

  5. #5Billrog2016-08-06 17:11

    Is it the relay for the solenoid I'd check it.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2016-08-06 17:58

    Depends on your electrical system.. It could be a "safety switch" somewhere in the system, tripping the solenoid.. Neutral, seat.. etc... or it could be a key switch..

  7. #7rainman2016-08-07 02:17

    Where would I find the relay

  8. #8Billrog2016-08-07 10:51

    Rainman even though I owned one a few years back and even changed a few relays I can't remember the exact way to get to them now. Maybe this will help. http://catexcavatorservicerepairman...Loader-Service-Repair-Workshop-Pdf-Manual.pdf

  9. #9rainman2016-08-07 13:26

    Update I just changed my toggle switch and that has taken care of the problem thanks for all y'all reply

  10. #10sheepfoot2016-08-07 14:12

    Well a little late on this, under the dash there is a bus strip with several circuit breakers, with the key on current flows to the 10 amp, then down threw the harness. There is a connection where the two harness hook together, from there it runs to the shut off. I would make sure your toggle switch is rated for a min 10+ amps and you have a inline fuse or circuit breaker installed.