Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

590 super l no reverse

LRAD · 2021-09-28 22:08

Trying to help a friend with this, I don’t have heavy equipment background. It was working fine and then went to use it one day and has no reverse, forward ok. He put a new selector lever on column since it was cracked but didn’t fix it. I found that it has power and ground at 4way shift solenoid connector when put in forward or reverse respectively. That connector was at top of transmission on right side. I didn’t have a good ohmmeter with me but seemed to have about 6 ohms for both forward and reverse solenoids. Is my next step to remove that solenoid assembly to check for a stuck valve? Or are there other external inhibits for reverse? Thanks for any help!

Replies9
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-09-28 22:44

    Did you check your reverse relay? Also check trimmer relay and shuttle interlock relay.

  2. #2LRAD2021-09-28 22:51

    I did swap the forward and reverse relays with no change. I guess I’m not familiar with the other 2 relays

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2021-09-28 22:59

    They are marked on the cover but when they go bad usually you don't have either direction. I would check voltage to solenoid and maybe even swap solenoids to see if problem stays in reverse or goes to forward.

  4. #4LRAD2021-09-28 23:11

    My test light was bright but I didn’t actually check voltage. Sounds like I’m on the right track digging into the solenoids. Is there anything to look out for when removing them? Appreciate the help!

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2021-09-30 11:51

    Nothing really special about removing the solenoids. They may be a bit hard to take off because of corrosion, which may the the issue. Also remove the stem that the solenoids are on I have seen the plunger be stuck and had one issue where the solenoids were hitting the bottom of cab and bending the stem which caused the plunger to stick.

  6. #6t horn2021-09-30 20:50

    have the same problem is it the solenoid on top of tramission --- a little forward and rev for a little while then nothing 580n 12 model .thanks for the help . the dealer ant no help in arkansas they just want to sell

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2021-10-04 23:22

    I'm glad we could help in our humble way. Where pray tell is Royal, AR?

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-10-05 08:51

    Sorry that this is a little off-topic. All of us have a location at the bottom of our username box. Click your curser on what ever the location is and Google maps will open it in a new tab. It is good if a member has his actual town or area address. Some members have locations that do not exist. I guess forpersonal privacy reasons. It is sort of useless if only a general location is shown. If anyone clicks on my location the entire river in Illinois comes up on Google maps.

  9. #9LRAD2021-10-29 13:00

    Just an update. Found that when I pulled solenoid connector so I could access and test wiring it checked ok but I noticed the reverse beeper was erratic. After cleaning away some grease I found all 4 wires were bare a few inches into harness. They must have been shorting when installed but not when testing. Replaced wires and working fine. Thanks for help!